6.0 STILL DOES NOT SUPPORT LTR-24102B

I upgraded to Dantz 6.0 professional edition build 6.0.206 with driver update pack 3.4.106

I am running windows 98se. The LTR-24102B is NOT a compaq version. Dantz claims that the non-compaq version LTR-24102B became supported in Retrospect 5.6.

Despite being assured here and by Dantz sales, that the Lite-On LTR-24102B 24x CD-RW drive was supported, I am still getting error -100 device rejected command (only when trying to verify). Just to re-iterate, auto insert notification is off and aspi check reports everything's ok.

I even tried to use the custom configuration in the tools menu to add "custom support" for a drive that's already supposedly supported.

See my previous post if you want a history.

Basically, I burned 91 cdr blanks and cannot verify them with the LTR-24102B.

However, I found an old Sony CR-140E 8X drive in the back of my closet. I installed it, and it is verifying the 91 piece backup set correctly as I write this (I am on disk 10 of 91) with no problems.

If everything in your configuration checks out okay, and one supported drive works, and the other supported drive doesn't.... you may have a drive problem.

Make sure you're using the minimum supported firmware for this drive: 5S54

Also, you made the original backups with a version of Retrospect that did not support the drive you were using. Try a new backup of a few files to see if you have better results.

Well, the drive is using the version of firmware you cited. To make things a little more interesting, I used retrospect to verify all 91 cdrs on a sony 8x drive also on the support list. Its a 140E. No problems found.

Now its going to get embarassing. I tried to use the "supported" sony CRX-140E to make

another backup set. I consistently get error -203's.

So in order to make backups on CDRs, I have to burn with a LTR-24102B and verify with a CRX-140E.

Honestly, did Dantz check out the code it uses to verify a backup set on CDRs? For one thing, when Retrospect is burning, it ejects the tray when the disk is full. However, (on both drives), when it is verifying, it DOES NOT eject the tray when it is finished with the disk.

And sometimes there is an immediate audio cue to put in the next disk, and other times its delayed by a few minutes.

As a result of my experience, and the lack of support, I cant recommend any DANTZ products to my friends or company for use with CDR's.

Archived