Needs pre-sales info

kdkrone

I am building a new system which will include paired hdd's for a RAID0 configuration. For backup I would like to add a third hdd drive which I would like to do on the fly backup of the striped drives; I will contain my data on one or two partitions.

I am unclear if Retrospect Pro can do this or if it can only be scheduled for frequent backups. Also, does the amount of space needed for the backup equal the amount of space being backed up or is the info compressed? Is the information basically an image of the drives being backed up or are files individuallly backed up?

Any advice would be appreciated. Basically, I am looking to do the equivalent of RAID0+1, recognizing that there is no mirrored drive to immediately substitute for a failed drive and that I would have to take a little time to rebuild a failed drive, should that happen.

Also, I would like to know if this version could be used to backup the other computers on my home network.

Thanks

Ken K

In reply to:

I am unclear if Retrospect Pro can do this or if it can only be scheduled for frequent backups.

Retrospect is not designed to be mirroring software. Backups need to be scheduled or run manually.

In reply to:

Also, does the amount of space needed for the backup equal the amount of space being backed up or is the info compressed? Is the information basically an image of the drives being backed up or are files individuallly backed up?

Backups allow for compression, and data is backed up file by file into a proprietary data format. There is no imaging capability.

In reply to:

I would have to take a little time to rebuild a failed drive, should that happen.

Retrospect can create a Disaster Recovery disk for the local computer - a bootable disk that will install a temporary OS, and enable a wizard which will walk you through a full system restore.

In reply to:

Also, I would like to know if this version could be used to backup the other computers on my home network.

Absolutely - the professional version comes bundled with 2 clients licenses that you can use to backup workstations in the same subnet. Additional client licenses are available for purchase. The Single Server edition will allow you to install Retrospect on a server OS and backup unlimited workstation clients.

Archived