2 Problems with Retro Workgroup

ekelly

I'm having two problems with Retrospect Workgroup. First a description of our network: Xserve as backup server, combo wired and wireless network of mostly Macs, mostly running OS X. Also two Windows XP machines, one a laptop the other a desktop.

Problem #1: One of the Mac laptops, a recent iBook running OS 10.2 cannot be logged in as a client. I always get error 541, even though I can see it greyed out on the server's Retrospect Network window; every time I click Log In... I get the error message. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., to no avail. I am using the current version of the client off the Dantz website. Other similarly configured machines work just fine.

Problem #2: The two Windows XP machines do a FULL backup every time they are backed up. At 2GB a pop, this is going to eat up our backup tapes pretty fast. Is there any way to fix this so that they do an incremental backup, like all the Mac machines? Again, I am using the current Windows client.

Thanks,

Eric Kelly

In reply to:

Problem #1: One of the Mac laptops, a recent iBook running OS 10.2 cannot be logged in as a client. I always get error 541, even though I can see it greyed out on the server's Retrospect Network window; every time I click Log In... I get the error message.

Jaguar comes with a built-in firewall. Configure it through System Preferences > Sharing. Either turn off the Firewall or configure it to allow access to Retrospect on Port 497.

In reply to:

Problem #2: The two Windows XP machines do a FULL backup every time they are backed up. At 2GB a pop, this is going to eat up our backup tapes pretty fast. Is there any way to fix this so that they do an incremental backup, like all the Mac machines? Again, I am using the current Windows client.

Check your script to make sure that you have Normal - not Recycle - backups set. If you do have normal backups scheduled, and all files are getting backed up, then something is changing them. Try going to Reports > Contents to look at the contents of your backup sets. This will allow you to browse individual sessions of backups - showing only the files and folders that are new or changed. If a file is getting backed up nightly, and it shouldn't be, check the properties for the file in the Contents browser window and compare the properties (Get Info via the Mac) against the file in a different session to see what is changing - dates, sizes, etc. Then determine what is changing the files on the system.

Archived