Backing up to a Netware Server

I'm one of few Mac users in a corporate environment, so I generally have to be self-supporting. Presently, I've used Retro Express to back up to a Jaz drive, but I would like to start backing up to one of our Netware servers. I would run the backup from my workstation (running OS 9.2.1 and the Prosoft Mac Netware client application). If I have mounted the server on my desktop, will I be able to back up to the device using Retro Desktop (I know it doesn't work with Express)?

Yeah, how do you backup to a server? I have a Linux box configured to run AppleTalk. I can mount its volumes on the Mac, but could not figure out how to make Retrospect put a backup set on them. Tried backing up via FTP -- that sucks (way too slow). There's nothing wrong with the Linux server -- it does gigantic backups of remote UNIX clients with BRU in no time.

Here's the scoop for backing up to a File Type backup set stored on mounted server volumes:

Netware doesn't work. Sorry.

AFP (Apple File Protocol) servers do work, but only with proper configuration and with some limitations.

Here's the problem; when you mount an AFP server volume from the Aqua Finder, the Mac OS comes to an understanding that you (the current Aqua user) is authorized to access the files on that volume (since you provided the correct login/password).

But Retrospect is not running as the current Aqua user; Retrospect is running as root (necessary to have access to all the files on your system). When Retrospect attempts to access files on this mounted volume, the Mac OS says sorry, you don't have the right.

But there is a way. If you have Retrospect login the volume, everything works. Here's how:

- Mount the AFP volume with your login/password

- In Retrospect's Configure->Volumes tab, select the mounted volume and choose "Configure..." from the Volumes menu (or press Command+J)

- Enter the password for this volume

- Choose "Put Away" from the Volume menu (or unmount the volume from the Finder)

- Now select the grey icon of the volume and click either the Subvolume or Browse button

Retrospect will then mount the volume, and you can create a File Type backup set in any directory for which you have write access. If you use scripts, Retrospect will auto-mount the volume for the script, and dismount it when done. Security can be maintained by using Retrospect's "always authenticate" feature.

Note that if Retrospect mounts the server you won't be able to view it from the Finder! Same reason as before; the Mac OS isn't going to give access to an AFP volume to another user then the one who mounted it.

One caution: if you have an existing file you wish to move to a mounted server, there's a problem. Once you copy the file to your server directory, Retrospect will not be able to "see" this file from its GetFile dialog box in:

Configure->Backup Sets->More->Open

UNLESS the entire path to the location is world readable. Now, it only has to be world readable for the time it takes to 'open' the File; after that Retrospect will be able to use the catalog. But for many server users this simply will not be possible (try asking a unix server admin to do that and watch the steam explode out of his/her ears!).

One way around this is to use Tools->Copy->Transfer and move the contents of your existing file to a new file created using the steps above. The downside here is that you will loose any older Snapshots in the process, but all the data will move over and be accessible for restores.

Dave

ZakB wrote:

>Please note that due to an AppleShare limitation, Macintosh file backup

>sets are limited to 2 GB when the backup set is saved to a networked drive.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me!

I have successfully created a File Type backup on an OSXS network drive, and backed up more then 2 GB. I also tested by creating a single 2.6 GB file and backing _that_ up to a fresh backup file.

Perhpas it won't work with OS 9 machines, but OS X to OS X works great!

Dave

Archived