Assert error

mkmike

I have experienced the sudden appearance of assert errors (internal consistency check failure) in version 6 after several weeks of succesful use. Nothing I have tried including uninstalling and reinstalling, XP System Restore and recreation of backup script helped. I am now running version 5.6, which does not, so far at least, have this problem. My OS is Windows XP Prof and I backup to an Iomega Jaz on SCSI.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Thanks, that did it. After using 5.6 for 2 days, I was due for a new backup set. I re-installed version 6 and it ran OK on the new set. The problem has gone away, I hope.

Incidentally, the original assert error file said "ACCESS VIOLATION in meson.dll".

I have now fixed it. It was because I had installed an MS package 'CE Tools', on the day the problem started. This package defaults to a directory c:\Windows CE Tools. I wanted to exclude this directory from my backup and added the folder to the exclusion list in my script. Clearly however, the 'Windows' in the folder name was causing some confusion. I have now changed the script entry to '*CE Tools' and the problem has gone away.

Sorry but that was another red herring. I used the program several times on the day that I thought I had cured it, just to be sure, and it worked perfectly. However, as soon as I tried it on the following day I was back to the assert error every time.

What I have noticed is that it only seems to happen when backing up my main system disk 'C:'. It does not happen if I backup my secondary disk 'D:'.

Anyway, I am now back on version 5.6, which works, and I will not be trying 6 again in a hurry.

Archived