Device Support with Mac OS X

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I just bought a LaCie d2 DVD+-RW firewire/USB (mod #300978U) and was previously told by LaCie that all their drives will work with Retrospect. I'm running this on OXS 10.4.6 on a G5. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not compatable. Although I was able to run Custom Configuration, everytime I try a simple backup I get an Error 100 (Device rejected command). I'm using Sony DVD-RW discs. I think the actual drive mechanism is a Tsstcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L. I can't find this unit listed on the chart. Can anyone tell me if it should work?

Ken

Ken,

This might be a shot in the dark, but I had all sorts of problems getting my EZQuest Boa to work with Retrospect until I was advised to try Maxell DVD+RW media. Mine won't burn to any company's +DVDs (made tons of coasters), but it does to HP DVD+RWs. After making tons of coasters, I was not about to pay full price for Maxells, but the HPs were on sale at Staples, so I got a box and things have been humming ever since.

Also, this may or may not help the situation, but I also installed PatchBurn from http://www.patchburn.de/ which may or may not have helped my situation. Now I backup to an EZQuest Cobra HD and to DVD with their Boa.

Good luck! Your LaCie looks like a wonderful burner. Sure wish I had the LightScribe capability!

Thurletta

Quote:

Hi,

I just bought a LaCie d2 DVD+-RW firewire/USB (mod #300978U) and was previously told by LaCie that all their drives will work with Retrospect. I'm running this on OXS 10.4.6 on a G5. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not compatable. Although I was able to run Custom Configuration, everytime I try a simple backup I get an Error 100 (Device rejected command). I'm using Sony DVD-RW discs. I think the actual drive mechanism is a Tsstcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L. I can't find this unit listed on the chart. Can anyone tell me if it should work?

Ken

Thurletta,

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. The problem, of course, is buying boxes of this and that brand, and ending up with nothing that works. I've had good luck with other Sony discs, so that's why I bought them. Not sure what to do at this point, but I'm looking for another backup solution that will work with this drive.

Ken

Hi Ken,

If you use custom configuration on your drive, then you are not using a supported driver for that burner. To ensure the burner is supported and working with the supported driver, make sure you have the latest driver update for Retrospect (currently 6.1.5.102 http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/ ) and delete any custom configured drivers from the path /Library/Preferences/Retrospect. Custom driver files will be labeled device01, device02, etc.

If you do this and get prompted to run custom configuration again then the drive is not currently supported.

Hi Foster,

When I encountered this problem, I did download and install the newest driver. I just checked Retrospect Preferences and found 9 device0x.rdi files, 3 of which were created some time ago when I successfully set it up to burn to a CD-RW disc in the SuperDrive. The other 6 I created last week while trying to get this to work. I removed them all, opened Retrospect, checked Configure/Devices and got a dialog box that said,

"Retrospect must be configured to use CD/DVD drives for backups and restore. If Retropsect does not show your CD/DVD drive in the Storage Devices window or to override Retrospect's existing support, click Configure."

Checked Storages Devices - this drive wasn't shown. Checked Device Status and it lists this device along with the SuperDrive, but the only relevant option is Configure.

So from what you're saying, Retrospect's driver doesn't support it. But isn't that the point of Configure, to configure such drives by creating the preference files? The Configure process seemed to work, that is, it completed, but I always got the same error 100 message.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Hi Ken,

That is basically what the Configure option is there for, however it is not guaranteed to work. Retrospect sends a series of read and write commands to the burner to determine if it will cooperate for backups. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Occasionally it will report that it works, but will fail under the higher intensity load of an actual backup.

You could try configuring with a different type of media, sometimes the difference between succesful and failed backups is the kind of disc in the drive. Two brands are commonly recommended for use with Retrospect, these are TDK and Verbatim. It is also recommended that you use +R/RW rather than -R/RW. In most cases +R/RW will afford better performance.

Foster,

Yeah, I was aware of that variable, and have been considering whether I wanted to risk throwing away more money buying packages of different discs. So thanks for the tip on TDK and Verbatim. I think I used to have good luck with Verbatim CD-RWs and someone else had recommended TDK years ago. Wish I had known about the +RW - I almost bought those instead of the -RW.

I appreciate your time and help.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi

This is a problem with your SCSI card. It is a very well known issue that so many Mac users have had to face.

Long story short Adaptec dumped SCSI support for OSX so you need to get an Atto UL3s, UL3d, UL4s or UL4d SCSI adapter. Also make sure to install the latest drivers from Atto.

Then everything will work perfectly.

Thanks

Nate

Hello Nate,

I'm trying to get a LTO-3 drive (from Dell, but the tape drive is made by IBM) to work on a G4 computer with an Adaptec 39160 and Mac OS X 10.3. I'm able to write to the tape drive but as soon as I try to read from the drive, Retrospect (latest version with updates) crashes.

If I purchase an ATTO UL4D card, will it fix my problem or is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks,

Carp

Quote:

I'm trying to get a LTO-3 drive (from Dell, but the tape drive is made by IBM) to work on a G4 computer with an Adaptec 39160 and Mac OS X 10.3. I'm able to write to the tape drive but as soon as I try to read from the drive, Retrospect (latest version with updates) crashes.

If I purchase an ATTO UL4D card, will it fix my problem or is there something else I should be looking into?

Carp, see also this related thread in this forum:

problem with quantum (certance) ultrium lto2

Russ

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Back-Up Community,

My system has been working fine. But all of a sudden Retrospect can't find my Tape device. Here are my stats.

Mac Dual 2.3 G5

Mac X OS 10.4.11

2GB RAM

Atto Express UL5D

Sony LIB-81

Sony SDX-700V

Retrospect 6.1.138

Retrospect Driver 6.1.13.101

Nothing shows up the configure device dialogue (except the CD). I've changed cables, SCSI IS's driver versions. I'm stumped.

Thanks

Does the device (library and drive) show up in Apple System Profiler? If not, there is no hope for Retrospect to see it.

Does the device (library and drive) show up in ATTO's Configuration Tool (current version is 3.16) ? If not, there is no hope for Retrospect to see it.

Does the device respond to Sony's diagnostics? If not, there is no hope for Retrospect to use it.

Russ

Hello Russ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Both my tape drives show up in the system profiler, but both fail the Sony test. I spoke to Sony and they told me that the LIB-81 only supports the Adaptic 29160 SCSI cards!! WHAT!! Oh c*%p! I have 3 years of archive on Sony tapes using retrospect.

You may be thinking just go and buy the card, the problem is that the card won't go in a G5. In order to retrieve my archives, will I have to buy a new retrospect for Windows? Can I retrieve archives from 6.1 mac on a PC version of Retrospect.

(fingers crossed)

Andy

I have never heard of a tape drive only working with the Adaptec card. I have talked to many users with the LIB-81 and ATTO cards.

Retrospect for Windows can not read a Macintosh tape.

The adaptec card only works with 10.2.8 and earlier. Only the ATTO card is supported in the G5

I suggest you work with ATTO support. There are settings on the ATTO card that may enable it to work. ATTO's support is excellent, and their products are excellent as well. Sony's support is feeding you a line.

I am curious why you got the UL5D for the G5, and wonder whether it fits. The UL5D is a PCI-Express card. The UL4D is a PCI-X card (also backward compatible to PCI, which is what the G5 has, or so I thought). See the specs:

PowerMac G5 specs

ATTO SCSI HBA Selection Guide

I think you need an ATTO UL4D for your Dual 2.3 G5 computer.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have problems with "miscompare" on some files, or more correct, file types (so I think).

I have a Mac Quicksilver as an internal server, 867MHz, 1,5 GB RAM, one Sonnet Tempo Trio, with a couple of disks, and then two disks on the internal ATA. The backup device is a Sony AIT-4 drive, also known as SDX-900V. This is connected via SCSI to a card from ACARD, AEC-67162M, a two-channel Ultra 160 SCSI card. I am running OS X 10.4.9 and Retrospect 6.1.138 with Driver Update 6.1.13.101.

Lately I have problems backing up large files, specially .dmg-files (disk images of install-disks for example), and also large .zip-files (over 1 GB). They result in a "miscompare" line in the log.

I had some idea that my power was not "clean" so I bought an APC SurgeArrest (another reason was tp protect from surge current). Still I have the problems. Same problem with the same type of files, over and over again when trying to backup again. The files behave normally otherwise (able to expand both .zip and to mount .dmg).

I have these type of problems with both files on the actual server, and files copied over the internal network.

Anyone else having these problems? Is it the SCSI card?

Lasse

Quote:

This is connected via SCSI to a card from ACARD, AEC-67162M, a two-channel Ultra 160 SCSI card.

Your SCSI card is not on the list of supported cards. Here is the list:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5642&p=2

We are not seeing these problems with our ATTO UL4D. We did have issues (different from yours) with the Apple "Build to Order" SCSI card that came in our Xserve (really, an LSI Logic 22320 Dual-Channel SCSI card), but those problems went away when we replaced the piece-of-junk Apple card with the ATTO UL4D.

ATTO is what all of the backup software vendors recommend.

Russ

Lasse,

Before you get an ATTO card, may I suggest that you try reverting back to an earlier Retrospect Driver Update (RDU)? There seem to be some issues with some of the later ones, and that may be affecting you. It's worth a try. I would suggest that you try RDU 6.1.11.101 (the complete version history and downloads are here):

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7886&p=2

Russ

Archived