Device Support with Mac OS X

Quote:

I don't suppose that Dantz has tested both the Quantum/ATL PowerStor L200 tape library unit (with SuperDLT 220 drive) and any of ATTO's SCSI controllers with OSX 10.3.x, have you? Both devices are listed as fully compatible with Retrospect, but the two are apparently incompatible with each other. I have a brand new Retrospect 6 server sitting here unused due to the incompatibility, and ATTO doesn't have much of any idea why this his happening.

On a related note, how exactly does Dantz test a tape drive or library to certify it? You must have some sort of test system you connect it to, and I'm curious as to what SCSI controller you use with it.

Thanks!

I have the same problem

Tried both SCSI adapter Powerdomain 2930CU and 2906.

With Quantum Powerstore L200 and i see in Device Status : Quantum Powerstor L200 V.0022 Driver: SCSI

Quantum DLT4000 V.D782 Driver:DLT 20.0 DC (5.04)

But, in Storage Device, i only see DLT 20.0 DC NO MEDIA and i don't see any Library!?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently upgraded to Retrospect 6.0 on an iMac running OS10.3.4. While trying to do an immediate backup onto CD-R's, I consistently get 203 errors once I reach the 6th backup disk. If I manage to get past the 6th member of the backup set after a number of tries, I also get errors on the 7th one. I don't believe this is random. I've tried two different batches of Philips CD-R's and now a batch of Verbatim CD-Rs. I kept on trying new CD's yesterday and managed to get to the 16th backup disk but then started to get the message again. There should be 33 CD's in my backup. I am wasting a lot of valuable time, not to mention CD's.

Further information on the previous message. I tried the backup again and it hung up at exactly the same file as it had stopped on a previous backup, on the 6th backup disk. This time it did not give an error message and just kept running although nothing was happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been an outstanding issue for over 6 months! Time to send the CEO/CTO a letter telling how we feel about this total lack of responsiveness. We aren't talking about some obscure outdated drive, but the current production hardware. I've used Dantz products for over a decade and am rapidly growing tired of the "ignore mode". They should advise if they are working on a solution and provide an anticipated release schedule. If they are backing out of the Mac market they should have the balls to let us know so we can start look for alternatives. Send your letters to:

Lawrence A. Zulch—Chief Executive Officer and President

and  

Richard C. Zulch—Chairman and CTO

Dantz Development Corporation

3003 Oak Road, 3rd Floor

Walnut Creek, CA 94597

That's the info they have listed on the web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Hey, I agree. Optical drive support can be aggrivating for everyone involved.

A rhetorical question if I may: What benefit does Dantz recieve for not supporting Apple built in drives?

Answer - Exactly none. Its actually a huge source of complaints and unhappiness all around. More than anything we would like to provide device support as soon as possible.

So why does it happen this way? Why aren't all current drives supported, especially the built in Mac drives? Often there are things out of our control that can delay or even stop device certification entirely. Some devices require large amounts of engineering time time to work properly in Retrospect. Often times they won't work at all without firmware updates from the drive manufacturer.

I'm not trying to make excuses, its the unfortunate reality and I hope you can understand that. I assure you we are working hard to expand device support and we are committed to the Mac market.

Nate @ EMC Dantz

Quote:

A rhetorical question if I may: What benefit does Dantz recieve for not supporting Apple built in drives?

If you put it like that the answer is "None" of course. But I've seen companies withdraw from the Mac market in a "fade away" scenario before. They don't stop support al of a sudden, they just don't spend too much effort developing their products; and when interest dwindles they stop development altogether. Norton Utilities is a recent example.

It's 4 months since the new iMac G5 went into production. The latest driver update now provides support for the built-in drive (Matshita/Panasonic UJ 825) - but for CD-R and CD-RW disks only. That's equivalent to no support at all - 500 Mb media is a ridiculous option when the minimum disk size is 80Gb.

I quite appreciate that device drivers are complicated beasts (I've written some myself, a long time ago on VAX/VMS), and that writing and testing them takes time. On the other hand, you're not going to convince me that al these optical drives are THAT much different from one another - so I think that if a company with all the resources and experience of Dantz really wanted they could have made it to work by now.

But I think the main thing we are complaining about is the lack of response from Dantz. We are confronted with disruptions in our backup routine, and we have to decide what to do about it - use different media, invest in new drives, or switch to a different solution altogether. To make a sensible decision we must know what to expect. Statements that you are

Quote:

working hard

and

Quote:

committed to the Mac market

don't provide much infomation. What I want to know is if you are going to support that built-in drive for DVD-R and DVD-RW, and when.

I used to like Retrospect - I've used it since version 2.1, and version 4.3 under OS9 was so much better than everything on the Windows market that I have been using a Mac as central backup server for all my PC's and Macs ever since. But support for OS-X has been slow and overpriced, and you are rapidly running out of credit at this end.

Wim Kegel

Hi

Dantz never, ever, annouces device support until a driver is available for download. There are simply too many things that can go wrong before a device actually works properly. Hence the ambiguity. It is frustrating for sure but Dantz can't have people buying backup devices based on something they are not sure will be a reliable backup device.

Dantz released a driver for the UJ-815 a week and a half ago that provides support for CD burning only. Its a safe bet Dantz would have much rather provided a driver that provides support for DVD as well. This partial support is very likely not by choice.

As far as commitment to the mac market, just wait and see. I think you will be pleasantly suprised in the time to come.

Nate

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a LaCie AIT-1 Turbo Firewire/USB 2.0 tape drive that came bundled with Retrospect 6.0.193 for Mac OS X but on looking at the hardware compatibility list here, this particular tape drive is not listed. I guess I should have realized that there is a distinction between AIT-1 tape and AIT-1 *Turbo* tape media. My OS is currently 10.2.8, but is this tape drive not going to work with Retrospect whether or not I upgrade to OS X Panther? Can I upgrade device drivers or do anything else to get Retrospect to recognize this tape drive or the AIT-1 Turbo media?

It is annoying that LaCie would sell this tape drive with Retrospect for Mac OS X if it doesn't work with OS X.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Just to follow up, I was able to download and install the 6.1 Retrospect Driver Update and now Retrospect sees both the tape drive and the empty tape. Progress! Now, do I have reason to worry that because the AIT-1 Turbo Firewire/USB 2 drive is not listed in the compatibility list (while the AIT-2 Turbo is), that I may have serious problems with the reliability of my backups? I have yet to run a backup, let alone restore from tape, but am I well-advised to wait for another driver update that includes this drive? Or should I throw caution to the wind and start using this drive?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am sick and tired of getting the circle-jerk-run-around of trying and never being able to get the download as directed for backing up my maxtor drive...6.0.212 or 6.1.????.... there is no way to get there...and even if it were to be possible, the chance that it would work with my powerbook and 10.4.2 tiger seems quite improbable. So until I get a straight answer, and straight way to download afforementioned download, I would recommend all apple lovin' folks to back up by any and all means other than retrospect!

....an update....

through the grace of heaven... and those of us who walk somewhere between there and here...with particular praise to a fella named Vince, I recieved ed-mail help that gave me hope. At least I can now start "retrospect"

without it stoppin', and have it allow a window afterwords. Given the maze... I am not certain to properly "surf" towards "attaboy's"...I would hope someone would pass on to Vince my appeciaiatoion, and to the rest the of my Apple friends the help had to do with the following:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/REx-EN_6_1_126.dmg

May God bless everyone...even though it ain't likely.

I don't know where to start, since Retrospect (Server) has not made a backup for me since December 29, 2004, and never worked satisfactorily. But I'm stubborn, and hate to give up. So I bought and installed the latest version (6.1.126) on my backup computer (G4 (AGP) OS X 10.3.9, Adaptec 29160 card, Sony SDT-10000 DAT). I tried to make a backup, but Retrospect would not recognize the tape. After an hour of research, I found the obscure method required to erase a tape after deleting the catalog. I thought I was good to go; Retrospect said so, anyway. The next morning, the tape had been ejected, and Retrospect said it was waiting on media (nothing had been backed up). I went searching and found there was a driver update, which I installed. Now, things have gone from bad to worse.

Now Retrospect cannot even see the drive. I removed the driver update, but still Retrospect says there are no backup devices available. The tape drive appears in System Profiler, and both the tape drive and SCSI card appear to be on lists saying Retrospect supports them.

I'm pretty fed up with Retrospect, and fear my frustration is keeping me from thinking straight. But I can see that no backup is going to take place if I can't get Retrospect to recognize my backup drive, so I decided to start here. Can anyone suggest some way to get a return on my investment?

Hi

This is a problem with your SCSI card. It is a very well known issue that so many Mac users have had to face.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5642&p=2

Long story short Adaptec dumped SCSI support for OSX so you need to get an Atto UL3s, UL3d, UL4s or UL4d SCSI adapter. Also make sure to install the latest drivers from Atto.

Then everything will work perfectly.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived