Device Support with Mac OS X

The Mac OS X SCSI Card Compatibility List can be found at:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5642&p=2

The "Apple Optical Storage Device Compatibility" list for Mac OS X can be found at:http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=osx_apple_opt_compat_dev

The list of Known Incompatible Storage Devices with Mac OS X can be found at: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5641&p=2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused by the list of incompatible cards and devices. When looking under the incompatible cards you see "PowerDomain 29160 Sony AIT tape drives and libraries incompatible" next to each other. On the incompatible devices the device is not shown. Does this mean only when used in this combination they're incompatible, or does this refer to all Sony AIT drives. Really what I'm asking is, is my SDX-D500C compatible?

Thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...

And that list should explicitly state that you are not just referring to third party SCSI hardware, but built in SCSI channels on Apple motherboards.

I can't believe I just spent $150 on this thing, and wasted an entire evening trying to get it functioning only to find out that I was lied to/mislead by your inaccurate compatibility lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait a second, gerardrj!

Are you sayin' that you've read something here or been told by Dantz support that Retrospect in OS X running on Mac hardware w/built in SCSI, a Beige 266 G3 for example, has incompatibility issues and should be included in the Mac OS X SCSI Card Compatibility List but is not?

I've successfully done backups from a Beige 266 G3 onto an ADIC DS9400D (Quantum DLT 4000) but am only experiencing standard tape capacity performance. Can't seem to get a backup down with hardware compression. Setting the tape deck's compression mode to manual overide, and seeing "WRITING COMPRESSED" in the drive's LCD display, still only gets 20 gig max onto a DLT IV tape. Even when the tape is brand, spankin' new. Should be getting closer to 40 gig!

I've exchanged email with ADIC who says:

----

The problem you describe seems to be in the way the OS or Retrospect are  handling the unit.  Unfortunately we have had reports from other customers regarding OS X and problems driving Quantum drives.  It may be a driver issue. 

Compression is set mainly by the software/OS, basically it will overwrite whatever setting the tape drive in itself has.  I apologize, but at this point Restrospect 5.x is not part of our compatibility matrix, no tests have been done to ensure proper operation, so I cannot give you any documented fix to the issue you are having.  I would suggest looking for the latest drivers from Apple and calling Retrospect to make sure that all settings in the backup software side are correct

-----

Scanning the web looking for pages containing all of the words "DLT" & "Mac" that aren't selling something are few and far between. Guess we can only wait and see if something turns up...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to update my G3 Server with ASIP (SCSI card 2940U2B - I saw that it isn't supported by Retrospect in MacOS X) to the new XServe and MacOS X Server10 with built to order Apple Ultra160 SCSI card. I use Retrospect 5 Workgroup and LaCie DDS-4 (Sony SDT-10000 0110 SONY DAT DDS-DC (5.01) - Device Status of Retrospect).

I would like to know about compatibility of this new Apple system with Dantz Retrospect and my type drive.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The SCSI layer in X is sitll something of an unfinished product, and that's not even taking adapter vendors' actions into account.

One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of the OS in use, Retrospect is still sending the same SCSI commands to the drives. It's not as if different requests need to be made to the drive just because it's running under X, and Retrospect is not usually asking anything exotic of most tape drives. Apple and SCSI card manufacturers still have some things to work out before we're all out of the woods.

Do we have any idea of what SCSI support is like in Jaguar? Surely Dantz know! I find it very interesting that Initio have just released updated firmware for their SCSI cards with the comment

OS X Firmware updated 8-6-02

Updated for changes in OS X.2

So, it appears something changed enough that Initio needed to change their drivers for Jaguar. Does that bode well for SCSI support in Jaguar?

I also notice that Fiber-channel is a form of SCSI, so with the fiber-chanel support coming in Xserve, maybe Apple has been putting some more resources into the Mac OS X SCSI drivers?

• 1 month later...

So now that I've updated to Jaguire, I've tried hooking up my Jaz drive to a Lombard. While restore operations work, when I try to reuse the media to start a new backup, it attempts to erase the destination drive, then gets an error claiming it lost connection to the drive (in fact, the drive is unmounted, and I have to reboot to get it back).

Is there a known problem with SCSI and the Lombard with Retrospect? I've had no apparent problems with the hard drive or using the Jaz drive outside of Retrospect...

Thanks,

At this time, there are known issues with Jaguar and removable disks. We will be releasing an update for full Jaguar compatibility, but presently there are problems with removable disks under 10.2 (not just in Retrospect).

Dantz updates will be posted to the update page at:

http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html

We'll also be sure to notify the forum as well as soon as the update's available!

I'm able to find much information here as to incompatable/barely compatable devices, but would like to hear from users who've had good experiences with external Firewire HD's - that will work with Retrospect OS 9.1 thru Jaquar.

What DOES work WELL?

I need to quickly purchase a very large (100+ GB) External Firewire HD for backup purposes.

Has anyone had a good experience either with a particular HD and/or brand name? I'm desperate for something dependable from a manufacturer that continues to offer support as versions of the OS and Retro seem to change monthly.

Speed is NOT an issue, reliabiltiy, compatability are. Much prefer devices with 2 FW ports. Must have on/off switch.

Thanks,

xandra

• 6 months later...

I have OSX Serv. 2.5 and the latest updates for Retrospect Server and hardware driver updates.

Yet when I attempt to run my scripts the whole machine dies when Retrospect tries to write files to my tape drive. Which is a LoaderXpress by Overland. It shows it is a supported device. I have tried multiple scripts and multiple versions of OSX Serv. and yet nothing seems to work. It dies everytime it writes to tape.

The program did run well on previous versions of OS9.x with the same tape drive but we are all trying to keep up with the technology here right.??

I wonder if there is compatibility issue with trying to backup all windows boxes with a MAC box?

I have customized my scripts to get the data from the Documents and Settigns folder from each client that has the latest version of Retrospect client on it. Is this a probem too?

Please help. Many clients are not getting backed up.

Thanks

MIS

• 6 months later...

I, too, am having difficulty trying to use Retrospect 5.1 with my OSX10.2. I have gone to both Apple and Dantz sites and downloaded updates to 5.1 and 5.11 with no improvement. The message is "incompatible" when I insert a DVD disc (I've tried several), and when I click on device status I get the following: "ATAPI-A; vendor HL-DT-ST; product DVD-RW GCA-4020B; driver RDi(TAO) (5.11)". I initially tried to use a generic brand DVD-RW, but since have been trying Apple DVD-Rs. Please, is there ANYTHING I can do to use this software?

• 5 weeks later...

I am also having trouble with incompatible media messages, this despite having gotten everything working just fine last month. I have a 17" PB OS 10.3.2 with an Apple provided internal MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816 drive.

It took a while and a number of DVD's to auto configure Retrospect, but things finally worked properly. As I recall, I had trouble after auto configuring first a DVD media, then a CD (in the same drive). I believe I had to redo the DVD auto configuration before I could backup. Once that was done, all went fine.

I had two types of DVD-R media, 1X and 2X, and used the device configuration to set the speed to fastest when using the 2x media.

A month later, however, when I insert either the 1x or 2x disks I made, they appear as incompatible media. First class bummer. Here is the Operations log from trying to verify the 1x disks:

? Retrospect version 5.1.175

launched at 12/24/2003 8:46 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.2.105

+ Executing Verify at 12/24/2003 8:47 AM

To backup set iceBoxII System Backup…

Couldn't verify 287,772 files due to missing or incomplete media.

12/24/2003 8:48:16 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 287772 files, 5.3 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:45 (00:00:43 idle/loading/preparing)

My /Library/Preferences/Retrospect has three device drivers with values for 'Media' of 388, 2, and 4.

This problem is one I view as extremely serious since it means all previous backups are unusable.

Paul

You're not the only one. I installed - "upgraded" - to Retrospect 5.1 on November 9th. Now I'm trying to restore some archived files and have discovered that ALL THE BACKUPS I DID ONTO CDs USING EXPRESS ARE "INCOMPATIBLE." Not happy. Understatement of the day, that. I successfully restored many, many files with no problems whatsoever prior to the installation of 5.1 from cdr sets created on this machine and on other Macs. There have been no hardware changes or new software installations since 5.1. I've tried uninstalling 5.1, reinstalling old versions of Express both in 10.2.8 and 9.2.2. All updates mentioned in these forums have been tried, firmware included. An Apple tech and TechTool Pro 4 both say the hardware is fine.

Nothing works. Nothing.

This particular computer is a 15" Powerbook with the stock internal basic combo drive (not the Superdrive) and purchased new in July. The case has never been opened except to install more memory. I've been using Express since 4.0.

Regards, Connie

I'm having the same problem and as my business depends on restoring past files, this is very serious. Background. Several years of successful backup and restores through various OS's and CD burners. I just upgraded to Panther 10.3.2 and I am now using a B&W G4/400 with the Apple installed Matshita CD-RW CW-7586 drive. I am able to backup my data without any problems. I cannot restore ANY of my past backups at all. Unknown media error like everyone else here is getting. I am using the lastest versions of all Retrospect software and drivers.

I AM able to restore files using the last CD burner I used to make the backups in the first place. But this is unacceptable as I have sold the burner and need to backup to this maching only.

I really hope there is a solution to this very soon. Anything?

• 2 months later...

Can I use Retrospect 6.0.178 on my G4 running OS X 10.3.3 backing up from the Seagate Barracuda ATA (model ST380021A) that came with the computer to a Western Digital EIDE drive (model WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0)? Neither of those drives is on the compatible (or incompatible) list.

Using earlier versions of OS X, I have successfully backed up the Seagate to the Western Digital with 5.0, but I've also had two disasters in which the backup process froze and the Seagate directory was scrambled. Of course that could be coincidence, but I've only had trouble with the Seagate those two times.

Grateful for your answer!

Tom

• 1 month later...

I wanting to know if anyone could recommend a backup tape device that is compatible with Retrospect. I need to backup 1-2 terabytes of data.

I was looking at Certance's CLL3200 8-Slot LTO-2 External Autoloader

which delivers up to 3.2 TB (8 tapes) but this is fairly new and I have not heard anything good or bad on this device.

Any suggestions?

So does the current version of Retrospect (6.x) and Mac OS X (10.3.3) now support removable drives? I'm considering buying an iomega Rev for backup (35 gig removable hard disk), but recall that past attempts under OS X using a Jaz drive failed since removables weren't supported under OS X very well...

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't suppose that Dantz has tested both the Quantum/ATL PowerStor L200 tape library unit (with SuperDLT 220 drive) and any of ATTO's SCSI controllers with OSX 10.3.x, have you? Both devices are listed as fully compatible with Retrospect, but the two are apparently incompatible with each other. I have a brand new Retrospect 6 server sitting here unused due to the incompatibility, and ATTO doesn't have much of any idea why this his happening.

On a related note, how exactly does Dantz test a tape drive or library to certify it? You must have some sort of test system you connect it to, and I'm curious as to what SCSI controller you use with it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Retrospect sends the same commands to a drive no matter what SCSI adapter is used. The SCSI adapters that Dantz supports (ATTO) will faithfully pass those commands to the device. Other adapters will corrupt the commands as they go to the device causing the backup to fail.

To put it simply, Retrospect doesn't care what SCSI adapter you use.

What do you mean by incompatible? Does the ATTO utility recognize your tape drive properly?

Thanks

Nate

Archived