Unknown Backup Set Member

bvagnoni

Dear All;

First, let me tell you what I want to do. I have 8 tapes, and I want to use all of them. I have to backup 6 out of 7 days Monday - Saturday.

I have one backup set called 1 Backup Set A. Each day I want that tape that is currently in the tape drive to be erased, and a full backup of the system done.

Which option, Normal, Recycle, New Media do I need to use to acomplish this?

What is happening is when the it tries to do a backup sometimes I get an error that it doesn't recogoze the tape thayt's in there. If I eject the tape and place it back in the tape drive in raeds it as 1 Backup Set A. However, when I do a properites onthe tape it tells me I have an unknown backup set member; why?

Do I need to do a recycle backup everyday and just have a tape for each day and not use the other 2 tapes that I have?

Why can't I just have teh software erase the tape before it starts and just use it. WHy does it choke when it see unrecogized media.

Normal is incremental so that doesn't help me. New media won't overwrite a tape that has a back set on it. Recycle doesn't seem to be doing what it's suppose to do.

Please help?

Sincerely

brian

If your goal is to reuse a specific tape each day for 6 days, you will need to create a backup set for each tape/day.

A recycle backup is going to automatically erase "the" 1-Backup Set A tape that belongs to the current catalog. Retrospect will not erase just any tape that happens to have the same name as the backup set.

Create 6 new backup sets. It usually easiest to name them according to the day of the week they will be used (eg: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.)

In your existing script, use all six backup set destinations. In your schedule, tell Retrospect which set to use on which day.

For example:

Day of Week: Every Monday recycle the Monday backup set

Day of Week: Every Tuesday recycle the Tuesday backup set

and so on...

1 script will have 6 destinations and 6 recycle schedules.

Dear Amy;

Hi, no all I want to do is have Retrospec erase the current tape then do a full backup of my system each day to how ever many backup sets that it requires.

I would prefer one set to keep it simple.

What happens is it works on recycle for about 1 week just fine then stops working and it usually can't recogize the backup set even though Ionly using one.

What do I have to do to acomplish this.

Keep it very simple, I want the process as simple as possible. I very computer literate, but the people doing the backup aren't, not in the least.

Brian

Dear Amy;

PS I also want to use each of my 8 tapes, one each day but in no particular order. WHatever tape they happen to grap.

They usualy go in order and are numbered 1 - 8 with one backup set. Recycle should work for this but isn't I keep have to manually erase the tapes after the first week.

Brian

Retrospect will not automatically erase just any tape in the drive. A recycle backup will only erase the tape from the catalog that is being recycled. Even if a tape has the same name, it will not be overwritten automatically.

If your users want to overwrite tapes - using a different one each day - you will need to set up a backup set for each tape and schedule which day to use which set.

You may want to make backup sets with names that correspond to the days of the week to make it easier for your users to remember.

Archived