Clarification of what is all needed

aguila

I know there are many posts that are very familiar to this, but I coundn't find a very direct answer.

I realize that a backup with Retropect of the c: drive including system state is needed and then I thought Exchange Agent will do the rest, however, the knowledge base says you need to use both the Exchange Agent and Retropect to backup the Exchange Server directory, which is confusing because it states that you cannot backup a live database:

In reference to this link:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27071

Under "These are the necessary factors that need to be backed up" number two reads:

"Exchange Server (Retrospect or other backup software)"

>>note, does not mention Exchange Agent... hence assuming that one needs to configure Retrospect to back this up... *see below about confusion of what directory this is.

Under "Here is how to do it" number two reads:

"Use Retrospect to back up the partition that has your Exchange Server on

it (note: you will not be able to back up the live database file, that is

OK: that is what the Exchange Agent will do)".

Here are my 3 questions:

Question I.

Where exactly are the Exchange Server and Exchange Database directories. My assumptions are listed below...

*I am assuming that the Exchange Server is where the folder called 'exchsrvr' that contains these files: 'priv1.edb', 'priv1.stm', 'pub1.edb', 'pub1.stm'.

I am assuming that the Database is the 'M' drive where you can actually see each mailbox.

Question II.

What program(s) needs to backup the Exchange Server directory (Exchange Agent, Retrospect OR both) AND Exchange Database (Exchange Agent, Retrospect OR both)?

I am assuming that the Exchange Agent copies the Exchange Server directory correctly - but am confused why the knowledge base mentions Retrospect. If a) Exchange Agent is backing up this directory and B) Retrospect cannot backup the directory because it is 'live' then why would Retrospect need to copy this directory too?

Question III.

How do I restore a single mailbox from a backup?

Question I:

ANSWER: The Exchange 2000 server is a program that is installed onto your

Windows 2000 server. The database's are the files it creates that holds all

the information. The M drive is actually a virtual drive that Microsoft uses

to write to. Check this listing for more info [

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number

=9443&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart= ]

Question II:

ANSWER: Exchange 2000 server, the program that is installed onto a system

running Windows 2000 server, can be backed up with Retrospect. The files

that Exchange creates are the live database files that contain the information, this needs to be backed up by the Retrospect Exchange Agent.

Question III.

ANSWER: Retrospect can not restore individual mailboxes at this time.

Archived