Sign in to follow this  
Mayoff

Retrospect 5.0 Read Me

The readme says that the workgroup edition won't backup Mac OS X Server as a client, but I'm doing just that with the workgroup edition I purchased yesterday. I installed it on my Mac OS 9 backup server, and watched it backup our Mac OS X Server as a client.

The workgroup edition supports a single OS X server client or a single Appleshare client. So, you can backup one, but not more than one in the Workgroup edition of 5.0 :-)

Hope this helps

Actually Workgroup edition supports a local server (the one running Retrospect), not a server via the client. To backup a Server as a client you would need the Server Edition

But I'm telling you that I am backing up a Mac OS X Server, as a client, over the network, using the workgroup version of Retrospect 5.0, which is running on a Mac OS 9 host. It's working, but apparently it's not supposed to?

OK, so here is my question (and kind of urgent, as we've only got about 24 hours to implement this all...)

If I'm running Retrospect and tape drive off a OSX (or OS9) box that isn't a server... and dedicated to the backup process.... and want to back-up a mixture of OSX, OS9, Win2k, Win NT4, etc. clients..... does it matter if any of these are 'server' versions of the OS'es?

We had the 'workgroup' version of 4.3. I was able to back all these machines up (mostly just some data directories on each) with it. We've upgraded to v5.0 Workgroup, and expect to be able to do the same. If you're telling me we can no longer do this, then we've lost functionality in the upgrade.

So, then we're kind of stuck. We need to back up our OSX boxes, which unlike the Beta OSX client, you've now disabled them so they don't work with v4.3 any more. So, we have to go to v5.0, but then we won't be able to back up our Win2k servers??? Please say it isn't so!

I like 'jlg' tested v5.0 after DLing it, and found that it would back up a Win2k server... but didn't try it with more than one.... please let us know... time is ticking away.... I've got to have this all implemented by tomorrow night...

-Steve

For licensing purposes "server" means a computer running Mac OS X Server or AppleShare IP. It does not include Windows 2000 servers, because the Mac application is still unable to back up all components of a Windows 2000 server. (It cannot back up NTFS permissions, Active Directory and other server-specific elements.)

If you are just planning on backing up data files and don't need system backup of the Windows servers, you should be fine; Workgroup will let you log them in.

As for Mac servers, Workgroup allows for backup of one server locally only. Backing up a server as a client, or backing up more than one server requires Server.

Thank you for your reply. That is good news for us at least.

I'm guessing by 'Server' for OSX, you mean the actual OSX Server liscense, and not an OSX workstation install? We have all OSX workstation boxes so far.

No, we don't care about backing the whole thing up anyway. Its way faster just to reload the OS on machines and then reistall the data files anyway, but I can see for folks that have really complex server configurations that they would need that.

I also agree with what others are saying here about most people not running the backup system off the server box. I've been a network engineer for over 12 years now, and have only seen, I think, 2 installations where the tape backup was on the server. This was usualy a situation with a LOT of data, many years ago when networks were slow. I don't think I'd ever do that with the networks of today.

I would also agree with others here, that I think you are going to lose business over this one. I know you are losing at least 1 liscense in our organization. If you had replied that we couldn't do our Win2k servers, I'd be looking for another solution as well. Just an FYI for your management.

Anyway, looks like we're in the clear for now....

-Steve

it would have been nice to mention before droping money for the 100 seat licensce that it can't back up any Macs with FILESHARING ON! not that they make up more than 90% of all the Macs or anything.

I suppose this means that Retrospect 5.0 Server edition is the only one that supports multiple OSX Servers on a network? By that I mean using a separate file server (in my case, OS 9.1) and backing up the servers as clients? It'd be nice if Workgroup could do it over the network (though previous posted dispute this and say OSX backs up as a client) but I need a guarantee that it'll back-up at least two OSX servers non-locally.

Hello,

Just make sure you are thinking correctly of 'server'. As far as I know, server means the actual 'server' version of OSX or AppleShare IP servers. We have several OSX boxes that we are backing up with the Workgroup version (although we only backup some data folders on those, not the whole machine).

We'll find out exactly what happes with 'servers', as we've got several of the new xServe's on order, and they come with the server version of OSX. I'm hoping we can see them as a client and back-up some data directories on them, as we're not really going to be using them as 'servers' in the traditional sense. Mainly they will be script servers, or running a database. In that case, we don't really care to backup all the users and rights, etc.

We also back up a bunch of NT server boxes, but in those cases as well, its just some data directories. We aren't actually backing up ANY of what Dantz considers a 'server'.

.... like who would install the backup device and Retrospect ON the server...??? Even if we did have a traditional 'server', we'd not put the tape backup and Retrospect on it.

-Steve

Operations Engineer

macys.com

yeah, and it would have been nice if they had put up all the clarification online *before* we purchased the over-priced and mis-represented workgroup upgrade. $200 later i still can't back up our one osx webserver, and except for that supposed advantage i was better off with 4.3. i'm certainly not going to run large client video project backups from our webserver! and as a small non-profit we can't afford your top-of-the-line product.

dantz, you really need to get your act back together and provide your disappointed customers (especially those with small offices and home networks) with a reasonable product. you used to have a great product and great customer service and tech support. what happened?!

Chris Anderson

Technical Operations Manager

Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center