Re-establishing back up after reformat

Hi all,

Hope someone can help. I'm essentially being a bit lazy here. Don't really have the time to trawl through forums/manual to find my answer.

Basically my work PC suffered a virus attack and I had to completely reformat it. I now need to re-establish it on the back up (network details below). Can someone give me a simple way of doing this or direct me to the best thread/info help to achieve this? Apologies for laziness but thanks in advance for any help.

Network comprises a mac server running retrospect 6.1.230. 1 x Mac G5 and 2 x dell PC's connected to it, one of the PC's is mine.

Thanks again

Jools

Step 1: Unless you are backing up the entire desktop on your PC or have a good memory, go to the backup computer and click on Configure:Volumes to remind yourself what volumes and subvolumes were being backed up.

Step 2: Install the Retrospect Client on your PC. The installation should automatically configure the Windows firewall appropriately, but you can confirm this in the Windows control panel and enter the port exceptions manually (UDP 497 and TCP 497).

Step 3: Go to Configure:Clients on the backup computer, forget the old client entry for your PC, and then enter the new one, using whatever network connection method you've been using (discovery by multicast or subnet broadcast, or direct entry by address).

Step 4: Go to Configure:Volumes, set up whatever subvolumes you want, and then add the volumes/subvolumes to whatever appropriate Source Group(s) you may have previously created. If you have no source groups, you would add the correct volumes/subvolumes or client name as sources in your backup script(s).

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your time and advice. I'll have a crack at that.

The retrospect was previosuly set up by an exteranl IT team so I have no working knowledge of the software and how it was set up, so please bare with me if I need further instruction or I do something stupid. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again

Julian

Hi again Tim,

Aplogies for being dumb. Just checking through our initial CD disks for retro spect and it appears that we only have mac disks, which I guess are for the server back up. i.e. we don't appear to have any client disks for PC. Our license is for 20 clients. Do I need to hunt a bit more or is it possible to download client software from the web? I think we have quite an old version of retrospect which was made by "Dantz" so not sure if current downloads would stil work.

Thanks for any help

Julian

That "quite old" version of Retrospect is actually the latest (and final) version of Retrospect 6.

You can download all the relevant client installers from Roxio here.

I would also download the 6.1.16.100 driver update from this page. The file should simply be placed inside the same folder that contains the Retrospect app, at the folder's root level. This file contains a number of bug fixes in addition to its support for newer devices ("newer" as of July 2009, that is).