204 error on new install

fja63

I've just installed single server 6 on a Dell Poweredge 2600 w/ the PowerVault 120 drive and autoloader.

I've created a recycle backup and installed a full magazine of brand new tapes.

The script begins to run and indexes through all 8 new tapes trying to find the first tape of the backup set, and when it gets to number 1 it says rewinding then erasing. After a while it gives and error 204 and will not let me out of the software.

There are no other backup utilities installed on the machine and the removeable storage manager is disabled.

What else could it be? The next step I see is to open it up again and check for cabling issues, but is there another software or OS issue I should look for. The only other applicatoins installed are Diskeeper - which has not yet been configured to run and APC's Powerchute.

Any ideas?

Frank

Error 204 (device busy) is reported when the backup device is being communicated to by two different processes, or there is hardware trouble that impairs communication with the device.

In reply to:

What else could it be? The next step I see is to open it up again and check for cabling issues, but is there another software or OS issue I should look for. The only other applicatoins installed are Diskeeper - which has not yet been configured to run and APC's Powerchute.

These two programs shouldn't interfere with the tape drive, as they don't access the drive for any reason.

Check to see what drivers might be present on your system that could attempt to communicate with or control the backup device and make sure the drive is isolated on the SCSI chain. Also, check cables and termination.

You may want to hook the drive up to another comptuer with Retrospect to isolate whether the interference is coming from the computer end or the drive end.

Archived