Very slow quitting

datkinso

I am running Retrospect 6 on a Windows XP machine that has drives e & f dedicated to backup sets. It backs up the c drive on the pc, an os9 mac, an osX mac and a snap server every night using a script. One night it backs up to drive e, the next night it backs up to drive f and it alternates from there. The backup sets are about 10+gig each. Everything seems to work fine except unless I turn Retrospect on for any reason. The program works fine until I try to quit, it will (I think) check the entire catalog on both drives before it quits. So it sits there for 20 minutes with the drive light blinking, then it asks if everything is ready and do you really want to quit. I respond yes and it quits right away. And it wakes up at 3 AM just like it is supposed to.

Is there any way to avoid the 20 minute wait, which gets longer as the set size grows, upon quitting the program?

You shouldn't see a 20-minute wait time. This may indicate that the computer is having difficultly communicating with the backup files on the external hard drives.

You may want to try turning off Windows XP System Restore feature to increase stability. This is done by going to Control Panels\System. Choose the System Restore tab and turn off system restore for all drives.

You can also disable the script checking done by Retrospect on quit through Special > Preferences > Notification Alerts.

Archived