Backup files included in XP System Restore Points

bflint

Hi - I've been using Express for some time on ME and recently upgraded to XP. I started using Express 5.14 on XP and had some issues with it locking up and eating disk space (like totally filling the disk without creating any extra big files... wierd...)

After a lot of investigation (and learning some about XP) what I found was that the XP System Restore function includes .RBF extension files in it's snapshots. I had been backing up to files on my hard drive, and the backup file was about 8 gig. Apparently what XP was doing was then taking a snapshot of that 8 gig file into a system restore point every time if changed - so my 1 8 gig file was being replicated and put in the System Restore points every day. (I ended up with 4 of them before I realized what was going on.) Unfortunately, the system restore points are not visible to the user so even though my 80 gig drive was 99% used, the total of all my files was only 16 gig. BTW, XP did this to me even though I only allowed 5 gig total for system restore points, but that's another story....

I then looked and saw Express 5.14 does not support XP... oh well...

So, my question is, is this issue in particular "fixed" in the versions that support XP? (fully understanding that it is XP causing the problem and not your software...) or do you require that System Restore be disabled if you are using large backup sets like I am?

thanks!

Archived