Retrospect 5 on OS 9.1

We have recently updated our retrospect 4.3 to 5 and consequently lost the ability to backup to our HP cd-writer 9200 series. I can still open Retrospect 4.3 and the writer works fine on it. Although, in Retro 5, we cant event see the device when we click the device button. The whole reason for upgrading was to add OSx 10.2 compatability.

What could the problem be?

I have installed all the updates ( Retrospect 5.0.236), but no change.

The drive is an HP CD-Writer 9200 series (C4456A), external (scsi)

On the compatibility list there is a 9200i (C4457A), does this mean that my drive is not supported?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this problem also. I just installed 5.0, upgrading from 4.3 and 5.0 doesn't see my Sony SCSI DAT tape drive.

I'm running OS9.1, and under Retrospect 4.3, it can see the tape drive just fine, but under 5.0.236, it doesn't even seem to see the SCSI bus, much less any devices on it. I say that it doesn't seem to see the scsi bus because it doesn't iterate through the device IDs, like 4.3 does.

The device information from 4.3 is:

ID:2, Vendor:SONY, Product:SDT-9000, Version:0600, Driver: Sony DAT DDS-DC (4.06)

The computer is a Powerbook 1400, and I've installed a clean-install of 9.1, and I've tried updating the carbonlib to 1.6. Nothing will make 5.0.236 see the tape drive.

If I hook up the drive to another computer, a Powermac G3 233 (beige), 5.0.205 can see the drive, and the device information from 5.0.205 on the Powermac G3 running 9.2.2 is:

ID:2, Vendor:SONY, Product:SDT-9000, Version:0600, Driver: Sony DAT DDS-DC (4.08)

I can see the Powermac G3 iterate through all the SCSI device IDs, which 5.0.236 on the Powerbook 1400 does not.

Please help, I'm at my wit's end!

Archived