Backup from Disk to Tape

Hello all,

I would like to know your input on backing up to disk and then backing up to tape. Does anyone know of any easy way to do this? Right now the scenario I have is as follows:

From Retrospect Network -> External Disk -> Restore External Disk Back-up -> Backup up to tape.

Very much out of the way I agree but what I want to know is, is there a way to move the disk backup to tape without having to restore each individual directory and then backing up again?

My ideal setting would be to back up to external disk then move it to tape. Does this mean that I absolutely have to do another backup?

The issue with this setting is of course you have a double restore with restoring the disk from tape and then restoring the directory from disk which makes this time consuming and also defeats the purpose.

Well any insight would be helpful or any hints to make this scenario better.

Anytime you consider doing double duty with backups, it's going to be messy at best. Any particular reason why you don't want to backup straight to tape? You can set up rotating tape backup sets if you're concerned about redundancy.

Time is usually of the essence when doing a restore, whether of a single file or an entire machine, and having to set this up twice would be tedious at best.

If you absolutely need to go to disk before going to tape, consider using a duplicate, rather then a backup in the middle. You can duplicate each source to it's own destination folder - and then backup the folders.

Well we were looking for alternative ways that we wanted to back up our machines. The underlying issue remained that we still needed to back up to tape since we don't have a drive dedicated to file storage. I would ultimately like to be able to just do a file storage but I have never implemented that before so I don't know where to begin or how to start. Maybe someone can give me some advice on that as well as this.

Archived