Crash due to Memory Problems

dleeward

I am testing 6.0 on Win2000 Workstation SP3 on a P3-500 machine with 128K of memory backing up to a SCSI Travan 4/8GB that is supported. This computer is used as the file server on a lightly loaded three node network and is relatively clean. During the backup process (about the fifth run), the other computers lost their connection to the network due to not enough available memory on the "server" (never had this error before). Retrospect had frozen, the window would not close and the computer had to be restarted. At least one file (so far) that was open became corrupted and had to be restored from a backup (at least that worked). Retrospect was waiting for a tape change when this happened. We are using the client software. Are there any known issues concerning this? If not, how do I troubleshoot it?

Retrospect is a very system intensive program, and generally should not be run on a file server while users are actively accessing the drive. There are no known issues related to the behavior you saw. I would recommend either increasing the amount of physical memory or running backups during a time when the server is less active.

Archived