Disaster Recovery is a disaster!

gbw_on_wheels

Hi, I have had a "C" hard drive failure, and am trying to accomplish a disaster recovery using 6.0 Pro. I have burned the disaster recovery cd per instructions, and the computer boots from it, partitions and formats the new "C" drive, and copies the windows operating system, all appears to work fine; until windows tells me that some required files are not found. These are the files:

VSNETUTILS.DLL

MSVCR70.DLL

SERIAL.VXD

I have tried searching the MS website for these files, have tried to search the system restore cd provided by my computer's manufacturer, (windows ME) and even a different ME (upgrade disk for my wife's computer) and cannot find these files anywhere. And even if I did find them, I wouldn't know where to copy them anyways.

Why didn't Retrospect copy these files to the recovery cd? I have the computer running again, only after doing a clean install, but I would rather recover from my cd backup set, since I have certain downloaded versions of software that are no longer available that I did have installed legally on my computer. Also all my preferences and settings will have to be done all over again.

I was relying on Retrospect to protect me from all this wasted time, but I apparently can't restore from the cd backup set without these missing files for windows. I don't beleive I have done anything wrong when doing the disaster recovery cd, it was burned exactly according to the instructions in the Retrospect readme file. If I hadn't done that right, I don't beleive the computer would have even booted from it.

Please, any suggestions of where to find these files, and what do I do with them if I can find them?

The disaster recovery feature is the main reason that I bought the 5.6 version, and the fat32 file size workaround is the reason I upgraded to 6.0 Pro. But at this point, I would have to rate the disaster recovery feature as a disaster!

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Hi AmyC, yes, the restore was to the same computer as the backup set and disaster recovery cd was made, and no, I don't beleive I had made hardware changes since that point. I remember reading about version 6 being able to create a disaster recovery file or cd from the backup set of a computer that has already crashed. Is there anything I might have missed? My cd backup was still working, until closer to the end, but the backup set on a second hard drive was never able to complete the task. I was hoping to be able to restore from the cd set to one hard drive, and install a different hard drive as the c drive, and then restore from however much was on the second backup hard drive, and then possibly copy any files that either backup set had not been able to copy before the crash. I am probably dreaming here, but just hoping.

Oh yeah, I have disregarded my pc's techsupport and switched my system to:

cdrw-master and c drive-slave on primary ide channel and the cdrom-master and d drive-slave on the secondary ide channel. After reading the reply to another post, about not having both hard drives on the same ide channel, it made since and everything seems to work fine so far.

Thanks for any help!

Greg

Archived