"Live" Restore?

acarter

I've read in the marketing materials that:

"Retrospect is capable of “rolling back” the local computer or a networked client to a previous

state, while the system is live. In addition, because Retrospect’s restores use Snapshots in reverse, the restore is fast—only the necessary files are copied, saving time and network bandwidth. Justn restore and reboot."

And:

"Retrospect scans the destination and compares all the files listed in the Snapshot to those currently on the destination. Only files that aren’t already present on the destination are marked for restore. This allows any volume backed up by Retrospect to be “rolled-back” to any previous point-in-time backup, quickly and precisely."

And the one that sounds really good:

"This capability is especially useful in large installations that use imaging software, such as

Symantec Ghost. The default installation can be laid down across the network by the imaging

software, then a Retrospect Snapshot restore can rebuild users’ personal settings and files in amatter of moments."

My question is, where is this documented? I've searched for Live Restore, Roll Back, even Ghost with no luck. After using Retro for years and having the option to restore a whole drive or just files and folders, this new feature intrigued me...

Hi Amy, thanks for the input.

I must be missing something, and I'll probably feel real stupid, but it doesn't seem that there is a way to restore over a live OS. That is, place files back right where they are supposed to be (in their original path)

If you restore files and folders you get a folder at the root of your volume that's bears the name of the backup set. This is the way it always has been, should be and is good.

If you choose to restore a disk, then anything but the active OS bits are overwritten. Again, as it should be.

Neither one of these scenarios fits the marketing hype quoted above.

What am I missing here?

Archived