Retrospect 5.0 Updated for Jaguar

Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) Support and Retrospect 5.0.236

Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) Support and Retrospect

A free update to Retrospect 5.0 is now available. Retrospect 5.0.236 incorporates support for Mac OS X 10.2 and provides fixes for unexpected behavior seen in Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. Dantz recommends that all customers with Retrospect 5.0 update to this latest version. Retrospect interacts intimately with many of an operating system's components. As Apple continues to improve Mac OS X, some of these components may change, affecting Retrospect’s ability to interact with them. Dantz remains committed to providing the best, most reliable backup software for Macintosh, and we will continue to work closely with Apple to ensure compatibility with Mac OS X as it evolves.

Customers running Mac OS X 10.2.x (or thinking of upgrading) should be aware of the following partial list of known issues affecting Retrospect:

1. An updated Retrospect client that functions properly under Jaguar is available from the Dantz website. This new client allows computers running Jaguar to be backed up by Macintosh computers running Retrospect 5.0 under Mac OS 9 or 10.1.x, and by Windows computers running Retrospect 6.0. The Retrospect 5.0.540 client for Mac OS X is available at the URL below.

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/client_50540.sit

2. Many SCSI card vendors will need to update their drivers in order for Retrospect to access attached SCSI devices under Jaguar. The most current list of supported SCSI cards can be found at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27381

3. Tape Drives and Mac OS X 10.2.x. Dantz has seen several cases where tape drives are not visible to Retrospect running in Mac OS X 10.2.x. This is due to a timing issue with tape drives not responding quickly enough during device discovery. Apple has been made aware of this issue. Until this issue is resolved by Apple, turning the tape drive on several seconds before starting the computer should allow Retrospect to see the drive.

4. Error -40 on clients running Mac OS X 10.2.x. Retrospect generates an error: "Can't read file retropds.22, error -40 (file positioning error)" resulting in the "retro22.pds" file not being backed up. This file is necessary for the Retrospect client software to operate correctly. Dantz is working with Apple to solve this problem. In the meantime, the Retrospect client software should be reinstalled manually following a Mac OS X 10.2.x system restore.

For a complete list of Mac OS X Compatibility Notes and "known issues", please review the Read Me document included with the update to 5.0.236

The following issues have been resolved with this updated version of Retrospect

OS X v10.2 (Jaguar) Specific

Live Restores: You can perform a live restore without changing the Time Zone setting in the Date & Time system preferences to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

Startup authentication: The startup authentication option and passwords function correctly.

Erasing Removable Disks: Retrospect can successfully erase removable disks.

Backup Server Defer Button: The Defer button in the Backup Server alert window functions correctly.

Autolaunching Retrospect: Retrospect launches automatically to execute its scheduled scripts.

General OS X

Internet Backup Sets: Retrospect displays the correct FTP directories for Internet backup set destinations, even when multiple Active Network Ports are selected in the Network pane of System Preferences.

Autolaunching Retrospect: If Retrospect autolaunches when no user is logged in, access to the Apple Menu is prohibited.

AppleScript Support: AppleScripts function correctly when Retrospect autolaunches.

-43 (file not found) Errors: Retrospect is better able to handle files with bad text encoding, resulting in fewer -43 errors.

Duplicating the OS: Retrospect has improved capability to create bootable disks using the Duplicate operation.

Unattended Operations: Unattended operations will run in unattended mode until Run Interactively is selected from the Control menu.

Backup Server Memory Leak: A memory leak that could occur when Retrospect was running Backup Server has been fixed.

File Backup Sets on AFP Volumes: File backup sets saved on mounted AppleShare File Server (AFP) volumes function as expected, even after the backup set has been split. (Retrospect automatically splits a file backup set into a catalog file and a data file once the backup set reaches a certain size).

OS X Clients

Exported Backup Reports: Machine names for OS X clients are correctly listed in exported Backup Reports.

Scanning OS X Client Files: Retrospect running on Mac OS 9 can scan files on OS X client computers much more quickly than before.

Tried to run the Retrospect driver update and it started retrospect and sat there. Checked the read me and the KB and saw no tutorials on how to update. Please inform of how to do this. It doesn't seem as simple as clicking on the install file.

Let me add to this. After calling Retrospect to find out what was up cause apparently no one is responding to my response, I have determind that this update does not work. As far as my last post goes I see that it is a funtion to open retrospect and do everything in the background. The updater doesn't tell you that it is finished updating as it should but that is be design as well. Apparently this is supposed to fix the authentication problem and the autostart problem in 10.2.1 and well it didn't do that. I still have to authenticate frequently and the autostart just doesn't happen. In fact it halts the program all together until you launch it manually. If anyone else is having these same issues after updating or had any success with updating I would like to know cause frankly I am not impressed with this release at all.

> Tried to run the Retrospect driver update and it started retrospect and sat there.

The driver update is just a file, not an installer. The Retrospect installer probably includes the latest driver as well. It sounds like you may not have run the installer yet, it is called

Install Retrospect

To check the driver version after the install, launch Retrospect and open the Log window (which has a message saying the driver version each time you launch), or check the driver file directly -- it belongs in the same folder as the Retrospect application. The version should be 3.0.104.

If you do need to apply the driver update, you manually copy the driver file to the same folder as the Retrospect application.

i.e. copy Retrospect 5.0 Driver Update to /Applications/Retrospect 5.0

(You are not the first person to be misled by the "Update" in the name of the driver file, it seems Dantz should change the name next version!)

John,

Thank you for further clarifying how to update retrospect. You would have thought that dantz would have put some form of read me or something to this update for first timers like myself. I did exactly what you told me to do and checked the logs and retrospect did update. I did see the install retrospect item in the folder when it downloaded but of course I was not going to touch cause the first aid didn't work so I didin't want it to overwrite my current installation and scripts.

In the end it worked so I am happy about that but I just wish for something that was so simple to do, it would have saved me almost an entire day of frustration and a LD phone call if they would have just put those simple directions with the file and not assume that everyone knows everything.

Well I give up. John, what you told me was exactly right and Retrospect did update. But retrospect is still doing the same exact thing it was doing before (frequent authentication, autostart not functioning). So basically this update was for no reason in my eyes. My perception of this version of Retrospect is that it was released without being QA'd fully, plain and simple.

I just installed 5.0.236, and now Retrospect will not launch at all. I thought after the install it might be necessary to restart, but that didn't help. Now, instead of having a version of Retrospect with serious flaws (e.g., the inability to autolaunch), I have a version of Retrospect that won't even launch at all. I'm going to have to reinstall the previous version in order to be able to back up my system.

In reply to:

But retrospect is still doing the same exact thing it was doing before (frequent authentication, autostart not functioning).

FWIW, I've got exactly the same problem -- discussed in thread "RetroRun still crashes with 5.0.236" (http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=15213&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=).

I bet if you turn on crash reporting (run /Applications/Utilities/Console, choose Preferences from the Console menu and check both boxes in the Crashes tab) you'll see that RetroRun is crashing. Actually it would be interesting to have confirmation that this is true.

It quits immediately, without an error message. Looks like it's the authenticator that quits, before the application actually launches, if I understand how Retrospect works.

However, I have found a workaround. If I log in using an administrative account, Retrospect will launch, and will then subsequently launch under any account. It appears that just the first time it needs to launch under an administrative account.

When things like this happen, I wonder how many people spend all their time using OS X as an administrator. I have always thought this was a bad idea from a security standpoint. I log in as a regular user unless I need to administer the machine, e.g., install software, etc.

> Well I give up. John, what you told me was exactly right and

> Retrospect did update. But retrospect is still doing the same

> exact thing it was doing before (frequent authentication,

> autostart not functioning).

I have been away for a week, so sorry for the late post. I may have a solution, although you will find it difficult to believe.

Empty the trash.

There is a bizarre bug in Mac OS X 10.2 where if you replace an application with one with the same name and location, the operating system sometimes runs a cached copy of the old one from the trash. (I am not sure whether rebooting also fixes the cache issue, but emptying the trash certainly has worked on several occasions for us ending considerable confusion about what on earth was going on.)

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet if you turn on crash reporting (run /Applications/Utilities/Console, choose Preferences from the Console menu and check both boxes in the Crashes tab) you'll see that RetroRun is crashing. Actually it would be interesting to have confirmation that this is true.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having the same problem, here's the crash log:

Date/Time: 2002-10-31 12:00:12 -0500

OS Version: 10.2 (Build 6C115)

Command: RetroRun

PID: 314

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x002e7ba0

Thread 0 Crashed:

#0 0x00003950 in GetPID (main.c:258)

#1 0x000045c0 in main (main.c:577)

#2 0x000031c8 in _start

#3 0x00002ff8 in start

PPC Thread State:

srr0: 0x00003950 srr1: 0x0000d030 vrsave: 0x00000000

xer: 0x00000000 lr: 0x0000394c ctr: 0x90074320 mq: 0x00000000

r0: 0x0000394c r1: 0xbffffbb0 r2: 0x00183010 r3: 0x00000000

r4: 0x00000003 r5: 0x00000028 r6: 0x0000002c r7: 0x00000703

r8: 0x00000000 r9: 0x002e7b88 r10: 0x00000001 r11: 0xa00046dc

r12: 0x90074320 r13: 0x00000000 r14: 0x00000000 r15: 0x00000000

r16: 0x00000000 r17: 0x00000000 r18: 0x00000000 r19: 0x00000000

r20: 0x00000000 r21: 0x00000000 r22: 0x00000000 r23: 0x00000000

r24: 0x00000000 r25: 0x00000000 r26: 0xbfffff88 r27: 0x0000000c

r28: 0x00000002 r29: 0xbfffff98 r30: 0xbffffbb0 r31: 0x000037c0

In reply to:

I'm having the same problem, here's the (edited) crash log:

OS Version: 10.2 (Build 6C115)

Command: RetroRun

Thread 0 Crashed:

#0 0x00003950 in GetPID

1- Trash the Retrospect application icon

2- Trash /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/

3- Empty the trash

4- Run the 5.0.536 installer

5- Launch Retrospect

Before the upgrade to Jaguar, I had a backup script to back up to a file on a server. This worked like a charm. Now, it doesn't work any more. I have updated to version 238, but this has not helped. Retrospect used to remember my password to that server, but now unless I'm at my machine to type in the password it won't proceed with the backup. What am I doing wrong?

From the Retrospect Read Me for 5.0:

Backing Up To or From Mounted AppleShare Volumes: There are two ways to back up to or from AppleShare File Server (AFP) volumes under OS X:

1. Log into the OS as root.

For information on how to log in as root under OS X, please read Apple Computer's Knowledgebase article #106290, Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It.

2. Configure Retrospect to mount the AFP volume on the desktop.

To have Retrospect automatically mount an AFP volume on your desktop:

* Mount the AFP volume on your desktop using your login

* In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted volume

* From the Volumes menu choose Configure (Command-J)

* Provide Retrospect with the password to connect to the AFP volume

* Unmount the AFP volume in Finder

* Include the AFP volume in your backup script.

When it needs to access the volume, Retrospect will mount the AFP volume on the desktop, access it, and then unmount it when done.

NOTE: When Retrospect has mounted the volume, you may not be able to see the volume's contents from the Finder.

If you back up a mounted AFP volume using either method listed above, privileges are not preserved and can not be restored. The only way to back up and restore privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer using Retrospect Client Software.

Dear AmyC:

Over the phone, way back when I first got Retrospect, you gave me the following instructions (which worked like a charm until I got a new machine with Jaguar on it):

mount the volume to which you want to back up

go to config

go to volumes

highlight the mounted volume

hit subvolume

select folder

hit define

quit Retrospect

unmount the volume

start Retrospect

go to configure

go to volumes

highlight the folder

hit the browse button

close the window

make a backup set to that mounted drive

quit Retrospect

unmount the volume

I have done this exactly as listed above, but I still get the -43 error (which I've interpreted as it not having my password). When I do an immediate execute, it prompts me for password. So if that's the way it works when working at night while I'm home sleeping, I would not be here to enter the password. I'm sorry if I'm missing your point, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong, if anything. Moreover, I cannot see what is changed in the procedure now that Jaguar is out.

Make sure you are following the steps in the Read Me:

To have Retrospect automatically mount an AFP volume on your desktop:

* Mount the AFP volume on your desktop using your login

* In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted volume

* Unmount the AFP volume in Finder

* Include the AFP volume in your backup script.

In your configuration you're using a subvolume rather then the root level. However, you still need to configure the subvolume with the proper password as documented above.

In reply to:

In your configuration you're using a subvolume rather then the root level. However, you still need to configure the subvolume with the proper password as documented above.

Depending on the permission settings of the remote AFP volume you may not be able to save Retrospect catalogs into remote subvolumes.

But you do still need to provide Retrospect with the server's password.

Dave

DHodges, have another look at the non-root set of instructions AmyC listed, you are leaving out the steps to save the password. Note that there is a "Configure" tab when you first launch Retrospect, but once you are in the Volumes window there is a "Configure" command which you use to save the password.

Sleep well...

Dear AmyC,

OK. I've gotten past that point. Now something else is happening. Every morning I come in and check the log to see if the backup went all right. The last two mornings, when I launch Retrospect, it starts a countdown to execute the backup! It didn't run the night before, and it want to run it when I launch Retrospect instead. Yak!

Archived