Applescript for Mail.app in OS X not working?

Hello all, I have been a retrospect user since version 4 came out and now that I have upgraded to version 5 and running OS X 10.2.1, I seem to have hit a bit of a snag that the documentation doesn't show how to trouble shoot. I am afraid the problem may be right in front of me and I just can't see it. Any how here it is:

I am trying to get the mail program in os x to send me e mail notifications using the applescript provided by Retrospect.

Things done:

1. I copied the applescript that was in the (Retrospect 5.0/Utilities Folder) into the preferences folder (/library/preferences/retrospect) just as I was instructed to in the documentation.

2. I opened up the applescript editor to edit the e mail address as the documentation instructed and placed my e mail address into the property kmaingroup

(property kmaingroup : {"myname@mycompany.com"} )and saved it.

3. I opened up the retrospect application and ran an automated test back up of a system to test the e mail notification.

Nothing was sent to me when the backup started or when it finished.

Issues I have heard of:

Retrospect can't send e mail notification when doing an auto start of backup - Retrospect was already running when this test started. First of all it always asks me for authentication whenever I shut it down so there for it makes no sense for me to do an automated back up and shutdown only to wait till the morning to put in a passcode.

Mail application must be able to auto authenticate or not authenticate at all to send notifications - Mail application is set with password to be remembered so it will log in automatically when it is launched via retrospect. In this case of the test the mail application was also already running and logged in. I know that the application can send mail cause I sent 3 test e mails to myself from it to make sure.

I have also checked my old server that is still in tacted and looked at the script on that to see if there was a slight change or if something was any differen. Besides the fact that it was using eudora and there are more users in that group that are listed, the format is still the same and it works perfectly.

With all the issues I have heard and seen on the posts here I have not seen one related to this issue. And like I said it may not be an issue at all its just I can't see the solution in front of me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Amy,

Is this the Retrospect 5.0.236 server update w/ clients? If so I have already downloaded this and tested and I have not seen any improvements with the script. It still behaves as it did in my previous post.

I even re installed the server application with the updated one you have just incase the actual update file was not working properly and still had the same issue. Can you advise?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess a better question to ask is, is there another place where I need to put in information in the apple script?

Right now my info is just in the kmaingroup part of the script and I am possilby think there is another place it needs to be as well.

Also, How is mail supposed to be exactly configured? Right now I have configured it with auto loggin as if another person were using the mail system.

Please let me know.

Lovell

Apple changed Mail.app in 10.2, so the script that worked when Dantz released Retrospect 5.0 does not seem to work any longer.

There are two things that have apparently been changed:

1) The "compose message" Mail.app class has been changed to "outgoing

message"

2) The "display name" Mail.app class has apparently been jettisoned, leaving

the "address" class as the only option. This can result in improperly parsed

recipient name in the sent items mail box, but it should still send the

messages to the proper recipients without issue.

In the sendMail() handler try changing the following lines:

Change

"set myMessage to make new compose message at beginning of every compose

message"

to

"set myMessage to make new outgoing message at beginning of every outgoing

message"

Change

"set myAddressClass to myAddressClass & {display name:myAddress}"

to

"set myAddressClass to myAddressClass & {address:myAddress}"

I don't know for sure if this will work. But it's easy enough to try.

Dave

Thanks anyway,

but the script changes are already done (I guess through the last version update...)

From what I've read, I understand that in version X, there is some sort of incompatibility to send e-mails from a script through mail.app. Dantz and Apple are supposed to be working on it. I first thougth that version 236 or something was the solution to this problem (for it features greater appleScript handling), but even though it corrects a few modifications (in the script), I still don't get anything in my mailbox.

I installed Eudora (it unfortunately comes with a load of unused items from the office suite), and everything now works like a charm.

I've lost enough time with this problem and will be waiting for another upgrade I guess...

Archived