Dell Hitachi DVD/CDRW

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Hitachi-LG GCC-4240N DVD/CDRW combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N). I'm real disappointed to find I can't use it with Retrospect Pro after spending $50 to upgrade.

I keep getting -100, -205, and -206 errors, and tried different brand media and creating a custom configuration. Sometimes it works, but I have two partitions that I've never been able to back up.

I've been a Retrospect user since Mac v1.0 and hate to think I now have to find something else.

I also have a QPS 16/10/40 external Firewire (Yamaha CDRW) that had some problems with -102 errors on backup verification on the same Dell.

Is Dantz going to support the Hitachi anytime soon? If t's in my Dell I'm sure it's in many other new ones shipping now.

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

Archived