Overexuberant backups?

dkabal

I just got Retrospect 6 up and running with two clients, and set up some backup schedules (once a day for the laptop, second hard disk, etc.). These seem to be working fine.

EXCEPT:

On startup or shutdown of Retrospect, it will spin the disk for an hour or so, and I worked out from the log that the unresponsive (according to Windows) program is actually doing a backup. What gives?

As an example, every second time I close down Retrospect, it will hold on it's way out, spin the disks for an hour, displaying "quitting..." and nothing else, and then, finally quit. It's happened on startup too.

I'm backing up to a hard disk for all scheduled backups.

OK, after waiting 40 minutes this morning, Retrospect returned, and asked if I was all set up for the next backup, and then I quit. (This started because I was foolish enough to click the X in the upper right hand corner of the Retrospect windows).

This time it DIDN'T do a backup during the 40 minutes the disk was spinning and Retrospect 6 was "unresponsive".

What is Retrospect doing during this time? How do I turn it off? I'm beginning to think this might be a bug of some sort.

Thanks,

Dave

What Operating System? Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore.

I am on Windows XP.

So far, so good (I disabled System Restore for all drives), but why is this only a problem for Retrospect? I've never seen any program that spends so much time accessing at program shutdown and startup before.

Also, isn't it usually a good idea to keep System Restore on? Does this affect my ability to do a recovery using the standard Windows XP tools without Retrospect (for example, I installed program X which screwed up my system and now I want to remove it without doing a "restore" in Retrospect).

Thanks,

Dave

By the tone of your reply, this is a known "interaction" between Windows XP (default mode has System Restore on) and Retrospect.

I am very patient with my computer, allowing it to play with my hard disks, without explanation, for 40 minutes simply because I hit the close button in Retrospect, other users might not be so understanding.

Is this "bug"/"interaction" documented anywhere? (FAQ?) What's the plan for getting this fixed in an update to Retrospect? (6.0.1?).

I like the System Restore feature, and making me turn it off seems awfully dangerous.

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27235

This is a known issue when backing up to hard drives with Windows XP, and one that we are working on. At this time, we don't have a time frame as to when there will be resolution.

Yes, disabling System Restore will disable this feature in Windows XP. Fortunately, a backup would provide you with the security that you need, should your system have a problem.

Archived