6.1.230 won't recognize password

OK, this is weird.

I'm still using 6.1 to backup my user account data. (Using 8.2 to back up my OS partition, which doesn't contain my primary user account). Today, after having backup scripts fire on schedule in both 8.2 and 6.1, I quit and relaunched both applications. I have 6.1 set to "Always require authentication." When I entered my admin username and password in the "You need an administrator password to start Retrospect" box, I got "You have entered an invalid user name or password. Please try again."

Repeated attempts have been fruitless, both from my primary user account and from my administrator account. I know bloody well I haven't changed any passwords. Just for laughs, I tried with Caps Lock both on and off -- no dice.

What could have happened? I'm stumped.

Hmm, well, Retro 6 autolaunched on schedule tonight and performed the scripted backup it was supposed to. But I can't interact with Retro in any way as I have it set to require an admin PW for any interaction, and sure enough it complains "Sorry, that is the wrong key" when I put in what I know damn well is the correct admin login and password (it works to log in to my admin account).

At some point when I get time I'll do a system reboot and see if that magically cures things.

What does Retrospect use to obtain the login credentials? I'm pretty sure I didn't tell it what password to use -- it uses whatever admin username and password info is stored in the system. Whatever unix or OS X loginwindow uses, Retrospect uses, at a guess.

Oh well, maybe this is God telling me I should just move over to 8 for everything. Of course if 8 did something like this I'd be royally screwed.

***Edit -- Also, to clarify -- I have had 8.2 and 6.1 running simultaneously for weeks now, with no problems until yesterday. I don't know why the 8 engine would interfere with any of 6's functionality, particularly a login system.

Edited by Guest

Whatever unix or OS X loginwindow uses, Retrospect uses, at a guess.

Correct.

At some point when I get time I'll do a system reboot and see if that magically cures things.

My guess is that will fix things.

Also, to clarify -- I have had 8.2 and 6.1 running simultaneously for weeks now, with no problems until yesterday.

One thing you haven't told us is what OS you're running. You aren't by chance trying to run 6.1 under Snow Leopard, are you? If so, that may be your problem.

Thanks for the replies and for the hope that a reboot will be a magical cure.

Yes, I am running SL (10.6.5), and Retro 6.1 has been doing just fine at the tasks I've set for it, thank you... until day before yesterday. I know better than to use it to back up system files, but it's done fine with user files, and certainly hadn't refused to recognize my login credentials. I brought my new system up just before the Thanksgiving weekend, and for the past 7+ weeks 6.1 has done fine. If it's an OS conflict, I don't know why it should make its appearance on day 59 instead of on day 1. AFAIK Retro 6 will hose a SL install due to the file compression scheme but otherwise runs fine under Rosetta. Not meaning to sound testy (really), and you may know more than I, but I'm doubting OS incompatibility is the problem.

Edited by Guest

You may find in your particular setup that Retro 6.1 is generally usable under OS 10.6. That doesn't preclude the possibility that something unexpected may occur, such as Retrospect's losing track of the proper login credentials. Even under the best of circumstances, Retrospect has occasionally exhibited flaky behavior; my point was that one might reasonably expect even more such occurrences when running it on an unsupported OS.