Unable to duplicate or backup/restore Windows 7 partition without errors

fredblow

I am running Retrospect Professional 32-bit version 7.7.341, on a dual boot windows system, with Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

I have been unable to create an error-free backup of my Windows 7 partition, whether I do it from Windows XP or Windows 7.

My preferred method of backup has always been to create a duplicate (so that I can recover a single file very simply if necessary).

When I create a Windows 7 duplicate while running in XP, the log always shows 334 errors - 167 each of error 1017 and 1101 :

File "D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll": can't link to "D:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-ie-ieproxy_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16700_none_ab11074022a9c0b4\ieproxy.dll", error -1017 ( insufficient permissions)

File "D:\Windows\System32\taskeng.exe": can't link to "D:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-taskscheduler-engine_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16699_none_e57bda4020327b8a\taskeng.exe",

error -1101 ( file/directory not found).

In an attempt at generating an error-free backup, I have just backed up to a backup set and restored to an empty partition so as to verify the result. The actual backup process showed no errors, but when I restored to the empty partition, the log showed me 31,198 errors. Again, there are equal numbers of 1101 and 1017 errors.

When I run Retrospect from Windows 7, I still get numerous (but different) errors.

For the record, I am running with all administrator privileges at all times, whether in XP or Win 7.

For the moment, I have reached the unsatisfactory conclusion that I cannot rely on Retrospect for my Windows 7 backups, and am resorting to using the Windows Backup (which wins no prize for speed), supplemented by a Linux copy of the Windows 7 partition.