Disk media set - Edit member - An error occured

leopod

Just updated to 8.2, from 8.1.626

I used to be able to change the size of my disk media set's members : by pressing on the pen button in the 'members' tab of the Media Set's window, I then selected the folder who is just one step over the 'Retrospect' folder of the disk media set, meaning 2 steps over the '1-xxxxx ' folder, It worked well and let me modify the size of my disk media sets according to usage through time.

In 8.2, the same procedure gives me a 'an error occured' message. Do I miss something? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened here. I'm now rebuilding the whole setup from scratch on a new server. When I see a cryptic 'an error occurred' on a simple function, it makes me a little antsy about the more important stuff.

For my rebuild, I'm going to tell all the members to use the maximum available space of the RAID and build grooming schedules to keep it from filling.

I've seen this change too. It is a pain, because I am now locked in at my current disk set sizes. I hope this reverts back to its previous behavior because it was a lot easier to expand a set's capacity than it is to create a new set and then copy the data to it and delete the original. Rebuilding the catalog didn't help here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Leopod.

Definitely a shame that it's not documented. If the phone support folks knew of this, it would have saved me a bunch of time.

Now I have to either spend $499 for Snow Leopard Server, or reconfigure everything from scratch (and hope I don't need to change any member allocations), or wait for the next Retrospect update (and hope it resolves the problem).

I hate to be a whiner, but I'm really agitated to think this is a bug vs. a self-induced problem that's consumed several hours of troubleshooting.

Blech.

I too tried to change the size of a member of a media set in 8.1 and 8.2 with no success.

I worked around the problem by adding a new member to the media set.

This work-around revealed another restriction that I could not find documented in the user guide: members of a media set must reside on different machines. It is not sufficient for them to be on different shares.