Client not found

Hi,

My Retrospect Desktop backup software can't seems to find any clients on the network.

I want to add clients but the Live Network window cannot locate any of the clients.

It finds a client when I click on “Test” and manually enter the IP address of a client.

I can see the client volumes through Configure > Volumes.

I can ping the clients.

I have the following setup:

Windows 2000 with IP address of 192.168.0.1, one NIC

This machine runs Retrospect Desktop 5.6.

Windows 2000 with IP address of 192.168.0.2, one NIC

This machine runs Retrospect Client 5.6

Windows 95 with IP address of 192.168.0.3, one NIC

This machine runs Retrospect Client 5.6

TIA,

Elliot

Elliot,

I would confirm the installation on the client side. That is make sure that the control panel for Retrospect is active and that none of the special preferences are checked (i.e. read-only). If you are still unable to locate the clients I would recommend re-installing the client and configure the clients from scratch.

It seems that you have some success because the clients are "live" on the network, but I have experienced similar situations and sometimes the re-install was the only solution that worked. Hope this helps.

Are the clients in another subnet? If so, Desktop can't access them. Also be sure that your network is set up to transmit TCP and UDP packets through Retrospect's port, port 497.

You say these clients do show up in the Configure>Volumes window? What happens if you try to browse them from there? Or are you seeing them here as mounted volumes, not clients?

Hey, thanks for your reply.

The clients are live, the client status window says "Ready for first access".

This was a new fresh install and not sure if re-installing it will help. But I will give it a shot.

Thanks,

-Elliot

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have Retrospect Remote running on MacOS 9. It works fine, but has no support for OS X clients, so we are palnning upgrade to 5.x. Before upgrade I downloaded trial version of Retrospect Server Backup (for windows) and for some reason I don't see any clients in the "Live Network". If I put my test backup server in to one of the configured subnets (normally it is in the separate subnet for servers, that has no retrospect clients at all) it sees client on that subnets, but not all the clients in the network. If i switch to Multicast sometimes it shows the full list for minute or two and then all list disappears excluding one test machine on the same network switch.

What I should do to make all clients (4 separate IP subnets) visible from backup server.

P.S. I know that windows backup server doesn't support OS-X clients yet, but I have over 60 OS 9 clients I have problem with.

Thank you for any help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

To see clients in other subnets, set up subnet broadcasting. This is described in your user's guide, but I've summarized instuctions for setting it up on a Mac here:

Click Network from the Configure > Clients window.

Go to the TCP/IP menu at the top of the screen and select Configure Subnet Broadcast.

Click Add and enter in the Subnet address and Subnet mask. Retrospect will now search in this subnet for clients to back up.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

IrenaS,

Thank you for your help, but I did all the steps to configure subnets. And sometimes it works. That means, that it shows the list, but then clients not on the local IP subnet disappear. Sometimes you can add the new client to the client database, but then server can't access client (client not visible on the network). You still can access any client by specifying it's IP, but it is not an option for me (more than 60% are DHCP clients). I thought that it can be a problem of MacOS TCP/IP implementation, but I got the same problem with Trial version of Retrospect Bascup Server for Windows.

P.S. everething works just fine with AppleTalk, but version 5 doesn't support AppleTalk clients :(.

• 2 weeks later...

I have encountered a similar problem. Periodically a few of my clients cannot be found by the retrospect server. In fact, these same machines cannot be seen on an AppleTalk network. It is reproducible and fixable.

First the network: Retrospect 5.0.205 running on a PB2400c with MacOS 9.0.4 GlobalVillage Ethernet PC Card 10BaseT. It is backing up itself and three OS 10.1.4 machines (G4 933 (100BaseT), Firewire powerbook 2000 (Airport Network) and BondiBlue iMac (100BaseT)).

I notice the problem when Retrospect server states that the client is unavailable. I look and see that the PB2K and iMac have disappeared from the network. The missing machines cannot be seen from either the G4 or the 2400c however using an IP address to connect to them works from both the G4 or the 2400c. They will appear on the desktop with that methos but still cannot be seen in the chooser (2400c) or "Connect to Server - AppleTalk" on MacOS10.

The solution is two step. First open the network panel. Turn off and then turn on AppleTalk on those two machines. They then appear on the AppleTalk network BUT the clients are not available to Retrospect. Opening the Retrospect Client app on the client computers indicates that the client believes it is "in use" Turning it off and turning it on fixes the problem and now Retrospect can see the client and back-up proceeds normally.

I hope there is a solution for this.

Hey -

I'll check if it works, but actually it is not a good solution for me. I have more than 60 clients to back up and running around the floors restarting retrospect client is not my primary task for today :).

Thanks anyway.

hmm... sounds interesting... Basically looks like it doesn't work on a switched network properly. If you have hubs everything works fine, but it doesn't work with switches. And that makes a sense for Dantz (use of broadcasts). But it doesn't make any sense for me. Why should I change my network configuration to make backup software working ???

• 2 weeks later...

I can only offer this comment. Cisco gives us alot of control over what happens with in the switch., while a simpler switch may not give us those control options or problems related to them. The Cisco switch can be optimized for many types of networking related issues. Have you checked into 'SPAN' Switch Port Anylyzing Network (i think)? Find the configuration that gets rid of SPAN problems and you may have siolved your problem. Otherwise a cheaper, less configurable switch may also solve your problems. I've seen Asante switched networks run without any problems or configuration needed. As i said previously it took me a long time to get the issue settled to my satisfaction. Best of Luck,

BH

Archived