Server crashes during backup a Linux client

pronto

Hi Community,

our Backup server (7.7.341 64Bit) crashes during a backup of a Linux client (7.7.100 32 Bit). The client doesn't log any events in /var/log/retroclient.history, the server is logging a system failure a few seconds after starting the backup and closed itself immediately.

If we attached the Linux client to the old server (7.7.325 32Bit) the backup finished successfully. Does anybody know what went wrong with this setup or have some workarounds we can test?

bye pronto

we are running in to the exact same issue. I have been speaking with customer support about this for the past 3 months, and haven't got a single response other than "Uninstall and reinstall", which I have done twice. Its obviously a bug in this version of the software (I'm using the exact same software versions that you are), and have gone back to the older versions of the software, and it backs up fine. We are extremely unhappy with this software, and the lack of support, and are seriously looking at other options for backup, unless we can get some answers.

we are running in to the exact same issue. I have been speaking with customer support about this for the past 3 months, and haven't got a single response other than "Uninstall and reinstall", which I have done twice. Its obviously a bug in this version of the software (I'm using the exact same software versions that you are), and have gone back to the older versions of the software, and it backs up fine. We are extremely unhappy with this software, and the lack of support, and are seriously looking at other options for backup, unless we can get some answers.

I'm in contac with the customer support and tomorrow I will reinstall the server (not really I only trash the config files) and setup a new backup task to this client and if it works (what I don't believe) I build the whole backup new, if not I replace the config files back.

After this I install a new Linux client and try it again. If it works I reinstall the server, because it is outdated also in the major realease (currently Debian 4) so an update is anyway necessary. If it doesn't work with a clean installation, I've no idea at this point what I should do but I'm confident that a clean install will work...

I will report the results, give me a few days.

Bye Tom

Hi,

I reinitialized the Backup by trashing the config files but the problem is still the same. I added a new backup client with exact the same version as the problematic client has and this one I can backup without any problems. I asked the customer support for a procedure to manually remove the client. I'm waiting for an answer.

I come back after I've the results.

Bye Tom

• 2 years later...

Old post, but we have a similar issue. A Linux client cannot be backed up at all, trying that will crash Retrospect (7.7.620) every time. Client versions 7.6.100 and 7.7.100 have been tested. Our three other Linux boxes don't have this issue. Any ideas?