"Converted" NTFS source drive not recognised.

chuzzlewit

Hi

Hopefully a straightforward answer...

Running Retrospect Prof v 7, XP SP3

I've been backing up a FAT32 drive quite happily for the last couple of years. I decided it was time to migrate to NTFS so "Converted" it with no problems. Of course, now Retrospect is treating it as a new drive, and the previous (FAT32) drive is appearing as "Unavailable". Is there any way I can convince Retrospect that this is really the same source drive, even though its format is different?

Appreciate any advice

Martin

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have updated the scripts, and they work OK, but the problem is that since Retrospect regards it as a new source drive, it backs the whole thing up again, which is exceeding the space on my backup (hard) drive. That is, I've lost the "only backup what's needed" feature.

I can't see any way round other than to delete the backups made when the drive was FAT32 and restart the backups with the "new" NTFS drive. I suppose that's not the end of the world, but it does mean I lose everything that was backed up but has now deleted from the drive.

Or get a bigger backup drive!

Thanks for your time. I don't have either of those options selected.

I have:

Under "Matching" there are 3 options and I have the first 2 selected:

- Match source volumes to catalog file

- Don't add duplicates to backup set

- Match only files in same location

Under "security" I don't have either "back up server" or "back up workstation" security information selected.

I think I'll save my existing backup files off to external drive in case I ever need anything from the "FAT32 drive" backups (assume I can rebuild a catalog file), then start fom scratch. I have the feeling I'm on a hiding to nothing trying to work round this....