-1028 error on NAT clients

I'm using Retrospect Workgroup 5 on a Mac OS X.1.5 Server. Most of the clients are Mac OS 9.2.2. This little office network has 5 "real" IP addresses, but almost all the client machines have NAT addresses (10.0.0.X) that are either dynamically assigned or are static. The server is has a real address.

When I click on the Network button to go to the Backup Clients on Network window, all my clients show up just fine. When I click on one that has a real IP address, I can configure it just fine. But, when I click on any one of the NAT-addressed clients, I get the -1028 error. When I switch the TCP settings of one of the non-working client machines so that it has a real IP address, it works fine. Seems like this may be a simple problem, but I don't know too much about this type of thing.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

I used to be able to backup to NAT clients, but now I have the same problem. I don't kow what's changed -- perhaps it happened when I updated OS X on the client or the server, or when I updated my Airport Base Station software. The ABS supplies DHCP addressed for Macs on the Ethernet as well as those that connect wirelessly. Now all my Macs are running 10.2.1. I'm using Retrospect 5.0.236 and Retro Client 5.0.540.

I did find a temporary workaround. I gave the Mac running Retrospect an address via DHCP and NAT instead of a static IP address. Now I can back up both Macs with DHCP addresses and Macs and PCs with static IP addresses. This is not an ideal solution because I might want to use the Mac where Retro is running as a web server.

AW

Archived