Retrospect 8.2 can't find clients

ttwm

Dave -

eventually - when the new retroserver is functioning to my satisfaction - I am NO WHERE NEAR THAT after more than 3 months, it will replace the old one.

At that time it will get a static IP - however the static IP will STILL be server via DHCP; network deity requirement(s).

I think the point we are trying to make is to see if the problem goes away if you enter static information in for the IP address for the engine computer.

You should be able to test this in all of 5 minutes using whatever dynamic IP address your machine is currently receiving.

There should be nothing (really) stopping you from using the exact same IP address you are pulling via dynamic DHCP and entering it as a static IP address for all of the 2 minutes it would take you to reboot your computer to see if this works.

It would be extremely unlikely that somebody else is going to boot up and attempt to grab that "pool" IP address.

Worst case -- ask your DHCP administrator what the range of addresses are that are configured and use something at the tail end of the range that is currently not in use and use that for 5 minutes.

All you are trying to determine is if you have the same problem if you have a static IP address assigned to your computer.

If so -- there's a bug elsewhere in Retrospect (or a bug specifically with your setup as the majority of us do not see this problem...)

If *not*, then this would be a good discussion to have with your DHCP administrator to see if there's something keeping you from being assigned an IP address immediately at boot time.

• 4 weeks later...