Attempt to Rebuild Media Set Error

Zulbat

When I attempt to Rebuild a Media Set I get an Error in the "Select a Folder for the New Catalog" drop down dialog. I select the Documents folder for the user of the machine that is running the Retrospect engine. When I hit the Rebuild button it gives me [color:red]An error occurred[/color]. Not sure if this error is because I'm using old Retrospect 5.6 .rbc files to create my catalogs.

Retrospect 8.x cannot currently read Retrospect 5.x data. In most cases, it is able to handle Retrospect 6.x data, but, at present, not anything from versions earlier than that.

See the Retrospect 8 Read Me:

Roxio Retrospect 8 for Macintosh Read Me

Restoring from Retrospect 6.x backups

Retrospect 8.2 can restore from Backup Sets created by Retrospect 6.x for Mac (except those of type Internet). However, it is not possible to add more data to these Backup Sets using version 8; Retrospect 8 treats version 6.x Backup Sets as read-only.

Before it’s possible to search or restore from a 6.x Backup Set using Retrospect 8, a Retrospect 8-style Catalog must first be created. To create a version 8 Catalog from the 6.x media, go to the Media Sets view in Retrospect 8, click on the Rebuild button in the toolbar, add the Backup Set members (like “1-Backup Set A†and “2-Backup Set Aâ€) that contain the backup data, click Next, and then click Rebuild. You will need to tell Retrospect where to save the new Catalog. Retrospect will then scan over the backup media and generate a new Catalog. This will take some time. Once this process completes, you will be able to restore from that Backup Set.

One workaround that you might try is to run Retrospect 6, convert the Retrospect 5.x backup set to a Retrospect 6 backup set, then run Retrospect 8.2, open the Retrospect 6 backup set.

Russ

I may have to attain a copy of Retrospect 6 and attempt your workaround, although I have been able to restore files using the version 5.6 catalog by hitting the Locate button in the Media Set and navigating to and selecting old 5.6 catalog Media Sets .rbc files. The search of these sets has been very slow and somewhat problematic.