Unable to backup outlook.pst - can't read, error -1111 ( locked range conflict)

cosmicpop

I've done a fair bit of searching through the forums but cant' find anything obvious about this.

I have Retrospect 8.2 Unlimited that apparently is able to backup open files on a Windows 7 machine.

However, I have 2 Windows 7 machines on my system but am unable to backup the outlook.pst file, probably because they are open. The reported error in the log is:

"can't read, error -1111 ( locked range conflict)"

I have "back up open files" selected in the Scripts -> Source -> Windows options so I don't know what else I can do.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

James

Thanks for the response.

After quite a bit of digging about on the Dantz website, I've found a hidden recess that tell me how much this add-on costs.

It's around £1000! I only have 2 Windows7 clients out of 40 users so I find it very hard to justify.

These users put their machine away each night so are not on the network - so I can only back up these machines during the daytime. The cost of the add-on prohibits me backing up these clients.

This probably isn't the fault of Dantz, but I feel pretty angry that this wasn't made clear before I purchased the product. I didn't think an open file on PC would be a big issue as it's not an issue on a Mac.

ok, I'll have to think of another solution, such as maybe writing some sort of script to copy the pst file to another folder and then back that up.

Any ideas?

THanks

James

At a previous company, we told users that we couldn't back up Outlook when it was open and that they should quit Outlook when the "backup countdown" of the client came up occasionally.

(I'm assuming you are using Proactive Backups?) If so, have them quit Outlook and fire off a "back me up now" from the Client application.

If the cost is prohibitive, then those users will have to take some initiative to manage stuff themselves.

Another thought -- are they running IMAP clients? Just back up the mail server.

Or have them switch to Thunderbird?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...