Client now showing volumes

hobson

Hi -

Tried setting up 8.2 yesterday. Added three servers as Sources without a problem but then I tried to add our database server, the server/source was added just fine but didn't show any volumes and didn't display the triangle to reveal subvolumes in the sources list.

I've restarted the backup engine several times. I've reinstalled the client app several times (using the latest download from the Roxio web site). I've removed and re-added the source several times. It continues not to display subvolumes which means I can't back it up.

Is there a fix out there that someone has found for this?

Is the client at it's login screen?

There's a known problem with the client (and I'm assuming this is a 10.6 box?) whereby if you reboot the client, then *logout* twice -- if you stay at the login screen, you won't see the volumes from the Retrospect engine.

The only resolution is to (A) log into the client or (B) reboot the client -- but remember if you log in/log out twice -- you'll lose the volumes.

Actually none of those things pertain.

The client is running 10.5.8 Server

The client is logged in and has been rebooted

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the retro client software and reset the password.

The same pattern is true: I can add the client just fine, but I cannot access any of the client volumes.

And you also need a multi-server license.

Retrospect, for licensing purposes, counts the Retrospect machine as a "server" and also counts any client machine running Mac OS X Server as a "server".

You can purchase "server" client licenses to use with a single-server version, or you can purchase the multi-server version.

Error diagnostics when it's a licensing issue are not very good.

Russ

Actually only if the OS contains server does Retrospect count the machine as a server so if Retrospect is running on straight 10.5.8 it will not report that machine as a server and thus allow you to back another server OS. This also applies to Windows as well.

Um, unless something has changed with 8.2, I believe that you are wrong because that's not how it behaved during earlier testing - unless you had the "multi-server" edition, a "server client license" was required for every Retrospect client running Mac OS Server.

Russ

Yes, I believe I have the multi server edition. It lists my license code after the Multi-Server edition line in my license preference window. I suspected this might be the case earlier so I downloaded the trial multi-server license but when I tried to add it I was told "This license does not add any additional functionality."

Besides, I have added 3 servers as sources successfully. It's the fourth server that is giving me the trouble.

I have added 3 servers as sources successfully. It's the fourth server that is giving me the trouble.

Removing one of the working three and then attempting to add/access the troublesome fourth would help to assure it's not a licensing issue.

But that would whack any Script using that Source, which might be a burden just for testing. Still it would be interesting to try.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the retro client software and reset the password.

How did you un-install? The current client distro doesn't include an unistaller.

Removing one of the working three and then attempting to add/access the troublesome fourth would help to assure it's not a licensing issue.

I guess I can see where you're going with this except that the only Retrospect license that allows more than one server is the multi-server license. All the rest of them include only one server. Their wording, not mine. But it stands to reason that if I can add three servers as sources successfully, I've got a multi-server license, right?

How did you un-install? The current client distro doesn't include an unistaller.

If you view the BOM on the installer receipt, there are only two files created: the app itself (technically a folder, I know) and the Retro preference file in /Library/Preferences. Blow both of them away, reinstall, and you've got a fresh install.

Your statement is true however the key word is "server". I am running Retrospect 8 Single Server 20 Clients on a non-server 10.5.8 machine and backing up a Windows 2000 Server client and I have not exceeded the single server license. All other clients including the Retrospect machine are non-server OSes so if the Retrospect machine is not a server OS it does not count towards your server licenses.

Your statement is true however the key word is "server". I am running Retrospect 8 Single Server 20 Clients on a non-server 10.5.8 machine and backing up a Windows 2000 Server client and I have not exceeded the single server license. All other clients including the Retrospect machine are non-server OSes so if the Retrospect machine is not a server OS it does not count towards your server licenses.

I don't want to get hung up on this issue, but I really don't think this has anything to do with the license. I have already stated that I have added 3 servers as sources successfully. If I really had only a single server license, I might be seeing this issue with only one or maybe two servers added. The fact that I have three added without the license complaining clarifies that it isn't an issue with the license. There's something else going on.

If you view the BOM on the installer receipt, there are only two files created.

Are you certain that the application (or its included daemon) doesn't create any additional files on first run?

> "I've just ... reset the password."

Perhaps you found it:

Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

I really don't think this has anything to do with the license

I don't really either, but it's always good to test each theory if only to discard it.

At this point the most important thing would be to try and discern if it's a [color:purple]RetroEngine[/color] thing or a [color:purple]retroclient[/color] thing.

If you have another machine on the LAN (or another boot volume for this one), I'd suggest installing Retrospect there, use the trial multi-server license you got from the automated system, and add the troublesome server client.

BTW, just for the data point, how are you adding the client; password or keypair?

Dave

Perhaps you found it:

Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

Yes, that was the preference file that I mentioned. Other than that and the app itself I have found no other files that the retro client uses or installs.

At this point the most important thing would be to try and discern if it's a [color:purple]RetroEngine[/color] thing or a [color:purple]retroclient[/color] thing.

If you have another machine on the LAN (or another boot volume for this one), I'd suggest installing Retrospect there, use the trial multi-server license you got from the automated system, and add the troublesome server client.

BTW, just for the data point, how are you adding the client; password or keypair?

Yes, I did install the engine on another machine and tried to add the problem server with the same result. It adds just fine but doesn't show any volumes. Right now I am only using passwords to add clients. I haven't been using the keypairs.

There's nothing odd about the volume names.

The server volume is called x.

The client volume is called y.

I tried installing the engine on another machine and added the problem server with the same results - no volumes showing.

The volumes that can't be seen are called "x"? Are there two volumes with the same name?

And -- to be sure -- the client-that-is-the-server is *not* at it's login screen, right?

The volumes that can't be seen are called "x"? Are there two volumes with the same name?

And -- to be sure -- the client-that-is-the-server is *not* at it's login screen, right?

The client volume that cannot be seen is called y. There is only one volume on the client computer. And it is most definitely not at the login screen.

really called "y" -- like in the letter "y"?

What if you rename the volume and reboot the server?

Or, if you'd rather not do that -- what if you connect a Firewire or USB drive to the server and reboot the server (and log into it).

Do you see the Firewire/USB drive as a volume, but still not the internal hard disk?

really called "y" -- like in the letter "y"?

What if you rename the volume and reboot the server?

There we go! The retro client doesn't like one character volume names. As soon as you change the volume to 2+ characters then it's recognized. Bizarre but I'm glad we found it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I recently rebuilt my OS from scratch (after about five years of system updates) and just now needed Retrospect Client installed (OS X 10.6 desktop).

And look at that; no disclosure triangle.

Hard drive name is unrelated (changed it to "Macintosh HD" with no effect).

Restarted retroclient, restarted RetroEngine, removed/added client, etc.

Added by Multicast. Added by address. Added by DNS. Tested client. All works as expected.

It sees the client machine as OS X, it takes the password, shows the client version number, but not the iMac's single volume.

Maybe I should change the name to "x" or "y" !

Dave

Is it at the login screen?

No, the Console was running on the client computer in question.

Running the Console on the Engine host machine is showing the same behavior as well.

Oh, look at that; just added (via Multicast) the only other machine on this LAN that has the client installed and it too shows no disclosure triangle or volumes (it currently has a user logged in).

Both machines running 10.6.4, and I took the extreme step of restarting the client machine.

iMac client is 6.3.029, this newly added Macbook is at 6.3.027, but attempting to push the .029 rcu does not successfully update it.

And yes, I have an unlimited client license.

Harumph.