Bind backup to ethernet port?

I'm running Retrospect Server for Mac, 6.1.230 on a PowerMac running 10.5.8. I'm backing up to a super fast Tandberg Data LTO4 StorageLoader. I remember being very excited about seeing backup transfer rates of around a gig a minute when i first got the device. I've noticed that some cliets still backup that quickly, but others backup at rates between 350mb/min to 500mb/min, or slower. So I started looking into it a bit, and discovered that these clients are Mac laptops which are connected to the LAN via Built-in Ethernet as well as Airport. So I thought maybe the user hadn't connected the ethernet cable, and therefore the backup was slow because of backing up over the wireless network. But this wasn't true. In all cased, the clients were using ethernet as the primary network, but that Airport was also turned on and connected to the LAN. Further, if I disable the Airport card on thse client machines, Retrospect no longer sees the client, even though the laptops are still connected to the LAN via ethernet. So it seems that for some reason, the Retrospect server has bound itself to the Airport connection of many of the clients on our network. Is there a way to bind them to the ethernet port instead?

My first suggestion would be to restart the client software: command-click the off button and then turn it back on (this will restart the client service, as opposed to turning off the advertisement). See if it makes a difference if you are doing it while the Airport connection is off. Also make sure your Ethernet connections in the System Preferences>Network pane are ordered so the ethernet conenction is the primary (should be at the top of the list when either both connections are live, or neither are).

I already tried restarting the client. And, yes, Built-in Ethernet is the primary connection on all the laptops. I should have mentioned, that I've repaired this on one computer by 'Forgetting' the client from the server, uninstalling the client software, reinstalling the client software and then adding the client back to the Client database on the server. So that particular client is now backing up at full speed for the time being.