Retrospect quits when previewing

This is regarding an error which occurs when I preview files for backing up. I'll be as specific as possible.

I currently work with two hard drives that I'll refer to as Drive 1 and Drive 2. Recently I copied over files from an older hard drive and split the contents among Drive 1 and Drive 2. Initially, they both backed up without any problems. A week later, I tried to backup again. This time Drive 2 backed up easily but Drive 1 wouldn't even let me get past the Preview option without quitting the program.

I selected Drive 1 along with its backup set. I chose to scan all files. I then clicked Preview. The normal box popped up showing that it was Scanning…Drive 1, then Privileges…Drive 1, then Matching…Drive 1. That's when the program quits and an error mesage appears that says "The application Retrospect has unexpectedly quit, because of an error type 11 occurred. You should save your work in other open applications and restart the computer."

I'm running Retrospect 4.3A on a Mac G4 OS 8.6 and the drives are LaCie. Also, Disk First Aid finds no problems with the drives.

Thank you in advance.

From the Apple Knowledgebase:

TITLE

Power Macintosh: Meaning of Error Type 11 Article ID:

Created:

Modified: 16004

8/8/94

11/28/00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC

This article discusses troubleshooting Type 11 errors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION

A Type 11 error is listed as a hardware exception error. However, as with all Macintosh Type xx errors, they usually do not identify a particular software or hardware component error. Type xx errors are more general in nature.

Troubleshooting Type 11 Errors

When troubleshooting Type 11 errors, always eliminate software problems first, then check the hardware.

To troubleshoot the problem, follow these steps:

1. Upgrade your hard disk drivers and system software to the latest versions available.

2. Contact the software vendor for compatibility information if the problem only occurs in one application, and you can reproduce it consistently.

3. Turn off all extensions and control panels if the error occurs in an application that is fully compatible with a Power Macintosh computer. Check the application again. If the problem goes away, then troubleshoot your extensions, control panels or fonts. Large numbers of fonts can cause similar errors, troubleshoot by moving them from the Fonts folder to another folder. If you still have problems, follow Step 4.

4. Perform a clean installation of the system software, then test the system performance for a few days. If the problems continue, particularly in the Finder, there may be an issue with your Apple or non-Apple hardware.

5. Disconnect any external or internal SCSI devices that have been may added (or exchanged for the original Apple hardware) and continue testing. Since SCSI device drivers load into memory when the Macintosh is turned on, they can generate conflicts similar to extension conflicts. If you are using a non-Apple formatting utility, contact the vendor of the utility for compatibility information. Removing internal SCSI devices is best performed by an Apple-authorized service provider.

6. Remove any extra third-party RAM and test. This is best performed by an Apple-authorized service provider. Also verify that you are not using composite RAM.

7. Remove Level 2 Cache RAM, if present, and test.

If you continue to get Type 11 errors using a clean version of the system software without any third-party hardware attached (including internal or external SCSI devices, additional RAM, or Level 2 cache RAM), you need to have your computer serviced by an Apple-authorized service provider.

For additional information about the cause of Type 11 errors, refer to article 18912: "Power Macintosh: Type 11 & No FPU Errors Technote"

Document Information

Product Area: Computers

Category: Power Macintosh

Sub Category: General Topics

Keywords: kppc

Archived