7.7.341 keeps losing tapes

harvdog

I applied the .341 update on Monday to 7.7 on my Server 2008 R2 box. It fixed a problem with backing up Mac clients (no more unknown MacOS error), but I have a new, more serious issue. During disk to tape back up, it seems that Retro is losing the location of the tapes, and pops up a dialog asking to find the back-up set. Options are choices or stop. I have to eject the tape, then reinsert it in a different drive in order for retro to see it again and continue. This occurs most often between the write and verify steps, but sometimes will occur in the middle of the verify action as well. I have tried recreating the back up sets, and scripts to no avail. The tape drives are LTO3 drives daisy chained via scsi-160. The hardware has been unchanged for a year. The only change is the update applied on Monday. Anyone have any ideas?

Are the tapes barcoded?
They are not.

I would bet that this is the issue.

If tapes are barcoded, then Retrospect knows where each tape is. If tapes are not barcoded, then Retrospect tries to remember where the tapes are by preserving a tape location cache.

I suspect that there is a bug in the tape location cache. I haven't seen this because we, like most people, use barcoded tapes. I suspect that the testing at Retrospect may have been done on barcoded tapes, and that a bug was introduced at some point as versions changed.

Russ

Are the drives individual or part of a library system?

I don't have your setup but do use non-barcoded AIT-4 tapes for backup. However I have a single internal SCSI Sony/HP AIT-4 drive installed in the machine.

I would try running the backup with only one drive attached and seeing if that works. I have a feeling that the daisy-chain is causing the problem and if you have that many drives it might be wise to invest in a library system.

I seriously doubt this is a hardware issue. The daisy chains have been stable for a year plus. The hardware hasn't been altered at all. The .341 update going in is where this started. Also, I run two daily scripts that each use 3-4 LTO-3 tapes. I can't run on a single drive. Thanks for the suggestions though.

It doesn't appear to matter which drive the tape starts out in. In further testing, I am running my scripts with verification off today, and they are proceeding with no hiccups. The next step will be to create from scratch a new back up to tape set (I don't recall if I've done this yet. A lot of other work going on simultaneously this week).

• 4 weeks later...