ZippySLC

Let Down by Retrospect

Hey all --

We've been using Retrospect Multi-Server for a while. We've had problems with it crashing or not starting backup jobs here and there.

Well, the other day the RAID array in our production SQL server went down. I logged into Retrospect to prepare for a restore, and lo and behold the last time a backup ran was 2 weeks ago.

It's a crapshoot with Retrospect if it will start running it's scripts if the Retrospect program is closed. Usually we leave the program open in a RDP session, but for whatever reason it might have crashed and closed.

Of course, with no alerting happening if Retrospect is not running, there's no way to be sure that anything has happened.

I'm not a fan of having to log into my backup system on a daily basis to make sure it's running. Anybody run into this sort of problem and have any ideas on how to mitigate it? I'm thinking of writing a script to alert me if the retrospect.exe process isn't found on the server.

I have experienced this problem where Retrospect fails to launch a script. The way I get around it is that every Monday morning I stop and re-start the Retrospect Launcher service through Services. I also do this before any full backups occur just to make sure. Since doing this I have maybe missed one execution.

With this method I have found the machine can be logged out and Retrospect will still execute the appropriate script.

I don't know if you're machine is the same, but I have a service on my mine which triggers the Retrospect.exe when it starts up.

Of course, if it's a service then you can run the Recovery options to restart the application if it fails.

You could also get it to send you an email by setting up a script instead, of course. I believe by default Retrospect installs a RetroLauncher service, which might do the same thing in your instance?

Rich

I also forgot to mention that you need to set Retrospect to run as a specific user and not use the logged in user option if you want to be able to log out of the machine during the backups. I have found that sometimes the Retrospect Launcher service has to be restarted especially if you do not restart the machine very often.

If you set the Launcher service to automatic it will start up when you bott the computer so you really don't need a separate script to launch Retrospect.