Duplicate source showing up

pwbimm

I think Daniels was trying to have you see if it's the act of bringing up a "drop-down" window that was causing the crash.

Which would be one of 4 places -- adding a Script, Source, Media Set or Rule.

If the crashes are *only* occurring when adding a source, *that* could be network related as it'll attempt to scan for multicast sources immediately.

But if it's crashing at any drop-down window above, then it's likely something else.

I think Daniels was trying to have you see if it's the act of bringing up a "drop-down" window that was causing the crash.

Which would be one of 4 places -- adding a Script, Source, Media Set or Rule.

If the crashes are *only* occurring when adding a source, *that* could be network related as it'll attempt to scan for multicast sources immediately.

But if it's crashing at any drop-down window above, then it's likely something else.

Ret will behave itself for a while and then hang. Just spent a few minutes creating a test rule, a new script, looking at sources, etc. Then clicked Add (+) to create another new script and Ret hung.

Since you have an external drive, what I'd suggest would be to install a clean OS-only 10.5.8-with-all-updates-from-Software-Update system on the external drive. Boot the MP from that, install the engine/console on that and see if you can replicate the freezes.

If *that* freezes (and I would limit my testing to Scripts --> Add as you said that freezes the console, right?) then I'd start considering a hardware problem.

Okay, installed Leopard on clean external hard drive and installed all updates.

Installed Ret console and engine.

Restarted (just to be careful).

Opened Ret and clicked on Add (+) in Script. Ret hung.

Restarted.

Opened Ret and clicked on Add in Sources. Ret hung.

Restarted from internal hard drive.

Opened Ret and clicked on Add in Scripts. Ret hung.

Does this mean I have a hardware conflict? Ret worked for most of a year without problems with:

PCIe card installed to provide two eSATA ports;

Firewire audio interface.

This external drive with the new Leopard install wasn't using the PCIe card with the eSATA ports (you'd have to install the driver to use the card) -- it was using a Firewire 800 cable.

Edited by Guest

My test was also to see if permissions were correct on the config files since this is where the rules, scripts, source, and media sets are kept so if one worked then we know it is not a permissions problem but something else. I was hoping it would crash when creating a new rule but we since it didn't we can rule out permissions.

Okay, installed Leopard on clean external hard drive and installed all updates.

Installed Ret console and engine.

Restarted (just to be careful).

Opened Ret and clicked on Add (+) in Script. Ret hung.

Restarted.

Opened Ret and clicked on Add in Sources. Ret hung.

Restarted from internal hard drive.

Opened Ret and clicked on Add in Scripts. Ret hung.

Does this mean I have a hardware conflict? Ret worked for most of a year without problems with:

So, what I'd do at this point would be to boot the MacBook Pro with that same external disk and see if you have the same problems with it.

Assuming you do *not*...

1) Can you try removing the "extra" devices/hardware from the MacPro and see if there's any difference?

2) Remove some of the RAM chips (temporarily) to see if it's somehow a RAM problem... Do you have AppleCare on the MP? If so, you should have a copy of "TechTool Pro" to run against it to check for hardware issues...

3) Uninstall 8.2 from that external drive and reinstall 8.1 and see if the problems go away?

This *sounds* like a hardware problem, but what the exact problem is -- I'm not sure. If it were me, I'd run TechTool Pro on the hardware first, then see if it's a RAM issue for some reason.

So, what I'd do at this point would be to boot the MacBook Pro with that same external disk and see if you have the same problems with it.

Assuming you do *not*...

1) Can you try removing the "extra" devices/hardware from the MacPro and see if there's any difference?

2) Remove some of the RAM chips (temporarily) to see if it's somehow a RAM problem... Do you have AppleCare on the MP? If so, you should have a copy of "TechTool Pro" to run against it to check for hardware issues...

3) Uninstall 8.2 from that external drive and reinstall 8.1 and see if the problems go away?

This *sounds* like a hardware problem, but what the exact problem is -- I'm not sure. If it were me, I'd run TechTool Pro on the hardware first, then see if it's a RAM issue for some reason.

Yes, I think there's a conflict between Ret 8.2 and my eSATA card (WiebeTech 30310-0500-0002):

1. Booted MacBook Pro (downstairs) from external hard drive with new installation of Leopard. Ret worked fine (no hang).

2. Booted MacBook Pro from internal drive and Ret worked fine.

3. Booted Mac Pro (upstairs) from internal drive with all external drives powered down. Ret worked fine (no hang).

4. Powered on eSATA external drive, opened Ret and clicked Add. Ret hung.

5. Restarted and tried #3 and 4 again. Same result.

6. Restarted and tried #3 (fine) and then external drive with Firewire 800 instead of eSATA. Ret worked fine.

Ran TechTool Pro 4 Basic Suite on Mac Pro (upstairs) and everything (RAM, drives, etc.) came up fine.

I had no problems with this setup before 8.2. Where can I get 8.1?

Thanks for all the suggestion in solving this problem. I don't think I would have thought of a hardware conflict by my lonesome.

I don't know if there's a link to 8.1 any more, but you should file an official bug report on this to Roxio (and at the same time, ask them where the download link for 8.1 is...)

That said -- does Wiebetech have updated drivers for the card? Maybe you also want to report the bug to them (since it's their card that appears to cause the problems?)

Which card do you actually have since the link provided listed a whole bunch of cards?

Also looking over WiebeTech web-site I found that they say for Mac Pros the only supported cards are PCIe.

Also when the drive was connected by eSATA did you make sure that you had a separate power supply for the device since sometimes the cards will not provide enough power for the device.

Which card do you actually have since the link provided listed a whole bunch of cards?

Also looking over WiebeTech web-site I found that they say for Mac Pros the only supported cards are PCIe.

Also when the drive was connected by eSATA did you make sure that you had a separate power supply for the device since sometimes the cards will not provide enough power for the device.

I listed the order code number (30310-0500-0002) but I guess it's not that obvious on the page. It's the only one that sells for $99 (PCIE-2S).

Yes, the external hard drive has its own power supply.

I will try yanking the card altogether and hopefully that will resolve this issue (no more SATA ports, though).