Error -1101, File/Directory Not Found

We have an old Mac OS X 10.2.x system that a user wishes to have backed up.

It had been working fine, until the 6.3 client was installed. 6.3 installed, but then gave an error that it needed a newer version of OS X.

We removed 6.3, and put 6.1.130 back on it.

Now, every time we try to back it up, it doesn't even make it to 1 file.

It immediately gives the error -1101, file/directory not found.

9/8/2010 5:28:43 AM: Copying HDD on OldMac

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

9/8/2010 5:28:57 AM: Execution incomplete

We first tried renaming the hard drive from "Macintosh HD" to just "HDD", thinking maybe the space was causing trouble.

Why won't it back up any more? Is there a way we can figure out what file it is looking for that it keeps failing on?

Edited by Guest

If you did this just by dragging the client app to the trash, try using the Client Installer to uninstall the client first. (The installer options are "Easy Install" and "Uninstall.")

In your case, use the installer for the 6.3 client to uninstall any remaining components from that installation. This may also uninstall everything from the 6.1 client as well, but to be safe, you might want to run another uninstall using the 6.1 installer.

Doing this, you should be able to safely reinstall the 6.1 client, after which you should be all set.

We have an old Mac OS X 10.2.x system that a user wishes to have backed up.

It had been working fine, until the 6.3 client was installed. 6.3 installed, but then gave an error that it needed a newer version of OS X.

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what you did, at least in my mind.

(1) You say that "it had been working fine" until you installed the "6.3 client". Presumably this was some (still unspecified) version of 6.3.x client (the current version is 6.3.029).

(a) Why did you install Retrospect client 6.3.x? Was this computer being backed up from Retrospect running on some server somewhere?

(2) When you "removed 6.3", how did you do this? The Retrospect client has gone through several iterations, with different architecture, program components, etc.

(3) When you "put 6.1.130 back on it" - Are you talking about Retrospect client 6.1.130 ? I don't believe that there was ever such a version. If you are talking about Retrospect itself being installed on this computer, see question (1)(a) above. I don't believe that there was ever a version of Retrospect 6.1.130.

Could you please check your facts and explain what you did?

Now, every time we try to back it up, it doesn't even make it to 1 file.

It immediately gives the error -1101, file/directory not found.

9/8/2010 5:28:43 AM: Copying HDD on OldMac

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

9/8/2010 5:28:57 AM: Execution incomplete

We first tried renaming the hard drive from "Macintosh HD" to just "HDD", thinking maybe the space was causing trouble.

Nope, that wouldn't cause this problem.

Why won't it back up any more? Is there a way we can figure out what file it is looking for that it keeps failing on?

Many problems could cause this.

First, you are trying to run some unknown version of Retrospect (Retrospect client? Retrospect itself?)

Second, you are trying to run on a very old (unknown) version of Mac OS 10.2. You may have a Retrospect version that doesn't work on that old of Mac OS X.

Assuming that you can get a version of Retrospect correctly installed, if it is a particular file that is causing the problem, the way to troubleshoot would be to define "Subvolumes" in Retrospect, defining them as root level folders, then back up each subvolume, see which one fails. Then redefine the subvolume deeper in the filesystem tree, see where it fails, etc.

It's a tedious search.

I assume, of course, that you have run Disk Utility to eliminate filesystem problems.

Good luck.

Russ

Edited by Guest
Run Disk Utility

Wow. Lots of questions.

Client version is 6.1.130. Yes, 6.1.130. Provided directly by Dantz/EMC/Roxio/whomever they are now.

This download link: http://download.dantz.com/archives/Client_OS_X-6_2_234.dmg provides 6.1.130, regardless of what the file name says it is.

Go ahead, download it and check. 6.1.130 is in the DMG.

I'm using 6.1.130 because it works under 10.2.x.

I had installed 6.3.029, but it would not load because it requires a newer version of Mac OS X (good thing it INSTALLS on 10.2 when it doesn't even work under 10.2!). So I went back to 6.1.130.

Not all Mac versions have an Uninstall option to use. Manual uninstall is the only option I've seen. 6.1's installer does give an Uninstall option. The 6.3 installer did not give an option to Uninstall.

Going by this thread: http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/29180/ , I deleted these files:

/

Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

/var/log/retroclient.history

/var/log/retropds.log

/Library/StartupItems/Retro*

I deleted everything that had Retro or Dantz in its name. I made sure the Retrospect client wasn't running, and everything was deleted, moved to the trash, trash emptied, etc.

I rebooted, I ran fsck, I checked permissions, I rebooted again. I made sure there were no Mac OS X updates either.

We have a lot of installs of Retrospect client that give errors all the time. "Backup Client Reserved" is one of the most common. Reserved? Reserved for what?

So I started updating ALL clients to the latest Retrospect version.

Unfortunately, the 6.3.029 installed on 10.2.x, but will NOT run on 10.2.x.

So I removed it (rm command), and installed 6.1.130.

Now it is giving -1101 errors. It worked before. it worked fine before for YEARS. But now it won't.

I've read in other threads that some Mac OS X users have to remain logged in, or they get a 1101 error as well.

Client version is 6.1.130. Yes, 6.1.130. Provided directly by Dantz/EMC/Roxio/whomever they are now.

This download link: http://download.dantz.com/archives/Client_OS_X-6_2_234.dmg provides 6.1.130, regardless of what the file name says it is.

Go ahead, download it and check. 6.1.130 is in the DMG.

Ok, sorry. It wasn't clear to me whether you were using Retrospect client or Retrospect (non-client), and I was just looking at the old .dmg file names on our backup tapes. Seems that this .dmg (or at least the copy on our backup tapes from October 2008) has .rcu files for Client 6.1.130 and 6.2.234. I didn't recall that older client version on the .dmg from before.

I'm using 6.1.130 because it works under 10.2.x.

Doesn't appear to "work" now. Did this same 6.1.130 client version not have this -1011 error before?

I agree that you seem to have gotten the necessary bits to do an uninstall.

We have a lot of installs of Retrospect client that give errors all the time. "Backup Client Reserved" is one of the most common. Reserved? Reserved for what?

This happens when a client crashes while doing a backup. The "reserved" part is that a lockfile has been set indicating that a backup is in progress. The point of the lockfile is to prevent other Retrospect servers from backing up this same client until the backup has finished with the current Retrospect server. The cleanup on reboot is not, shall we say, robust. There's an article in the KB about recovering from this.

Now it is giving -1101 errors. It worked before. it worked fine before for YEARS. But now it won't.

Ok, your only solution (of which I am aware) to track down the problem is the subvolume approach I mentioned upthread. It's painful to do a binary search on the filesystem tree to figure out what is wrong.

I've read in other threads that some Mac OS X users have to remain logged in, or they get a 1101 error as well.

I've never seen that, myself.

Sorry I can't be of more help. My suggestion would be to use the subvolume approach to narrow down where the problem is.

Russ

• 3 months later...
I've read in other threads that some Mac OS X users have to remain logged in' date=' or they get a 1101 error as well.[/quote']

I've never seen that, myself.

A little late to this thread, but I'm looking around for -1101 info as well. The logged in aspect very much applies to one environment I support where the users log out when they leave. In the Retrospect server that backs these clients up, the Console shows repeated, incomplete entries under Activities -> Past that only have info under the Log tab. It shows:

> Can't access volume Macintosh HD on Elizabeth’s iMac, error -1101 ( unknown)

If the users log in, they will usually be backed up after that. But when they've logged in first, then back out again...that's when the error occurs and backup does not. Just one glitch among many in this fine, infrequently updated heap. :P

Edit: Crud, didn't realize this was Retro 6 forum-- I had done a search and clicked in from there. My problem occurs on Retro 8 w/ logged out 6.3.029 clients.

Edited by Guest