Window resizing

I was hoping you would address the problem of resizing the main window and panes. As it is, the window barely fits on our server console and it cannot be made smaller. If the panes are resized for our specific setup, when Retrospect is restarted, they revert back. Very annoying and is keeping us from using 8.0 or 8.2. You are forcing us to stay with 6.0 until this simple change is made.

Edited by Guest

You do realize that this is a user-to-user support forum, don't you? None of us users have anything to do with fixing bugs. We just report them. Sometimes, after a great long time, they get fixed. No bug I have reported in the last fifteen years has ever been fixed. Perhaps you will be lucky.

I suggest you read the Retrospect Forum Rules/Terms of Use:

Retrospect Forum Rules/Terms of Use

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software …

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/retrospect/contact.html

The forum rules article is a bit out of date, and references EMC. I updated the tech support contact link in the quoted text above.

Russ

the window barely fits on our server console

The Console window reduces to a minimum of 1000 pixels wide and 682 tall. This is well within the 1024 x 768 size that has been pretty much the minimum display resolution of anything sold in what, the last ten years or so?

Certainly any Macintosh that can run Leopard (which is required for the Console) would include or support significantly higher pixel dimensions then that.

Very annoying and is keeping us from using 8.0 or 8.2. You are forcing us to stay with 6.0 until this simple change is made.

I gotta say, this made me chuckle! If you need or can take advantage of the features in Retrospect 8, being unwilling or unable to run it on anything approaching a modern computer display seems such a trivial matter.

Sounds as if the protection of your data is being held hostage to the size of your monitor. Hilarious!

Dave

Obvioiusly this is a user forum concidering Dave's un-needed sarcastic response. My apologies for even thinking a constructive response would come from non-enterprizing users.

Dave, then why would 6.0 have its window resizing and 8.0 or 8.2 not? Not all server consoles are the same and like us we operate both Windows OS and unfortunetly, Xservers.

Russ, thank you.

Obvioiusly this is a user forum concidering Dave's un-needed sarcastic response.

Yes, the Forum is a user community.

But my response was anything but sarcastic. Cynical, perhaps. Condescending, also possible. But completely sincere, even in my amusement.

The answer is really quite simple; system requirements for the Console application, although not specified, include a minimum of 1024x768 pixel dimension display.

why would 6.0 have its window resizing and 8.0 or 8.2 not?

They are different programs, using different code, with different performance goals and design decisions.

I've been quite vocal (virtually) in my disdain for many of those design choices, but I wouldn't expect the engineers to focus on compacting things on the screen just to fit on a pre-1998 display; even the the original iMac Bondi Rev A supported 1024x768.

Not all server consoles are the same and like us we operate both Windows OS and unfortunetly, Xservers

Not sure why running OS X Server on "SXervers" should be cause for sympathy (I find them to be pretty good iron), but you _do_ know that the Console application can be run on any Macintosh (10.5 or higher, x86 works best) that has network access to the Engine host machine, yes? Leave your XServe at the login window and connect from an iMac on a desk outside the server room; works exactly the same as running it locally.

Dave