Retrospect Engine Keeps Stopping

Retrospect 8.2

OSX Server 10.6.4, intel Xserve

Just upgraded our Xserve from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4. Since the upgrade, Retrospect Engine keeps stopping and has to be restarted 2-3 times a day.

I uninstalled Retrospect via the uninstaller and re-installed 8.2 late night. No dice, the engine was stopped again this morning.

From what I have seen on the forum here are the equations:

OS X 10.6.x + Apple Raid Card + Retrospect 8.2 = unusable

however

OS X 10.5.x + Apple Raid Card + Retrospect 8.2 = works

The only difference is the OSes so it must something in 10.6.x that is causing Retrospect to crash.

Wow that would be unfortunate. 8.2 in general is SO much more stable than 8.1. At least until this issue... I've been watching it all day and so far OK. If it's the RAID issue, I'm guessing that it will fail when the server RAID itself is backed up at Midnight.

Unless you are going to be watching this at midnight -- why not just fire off a backup of the server now and see what happens (if you can afford potential downtime, that is...)

IIRC, though, the other people having this issue were getting *kernel panics* -- not just engine crashes -- so you might actually want to watch the backup process to see when it's crashing.

Ok it seems to have nothing to do with a particular task running. I've watched clients backup via a proactive script all day. No crashes. I've forced the server RAID backup, no crashes. I was just looking at the console, nothing was being backed up and the RetroEngine just crashed.

8/27/10 11:07:53 PM com.roxio.RetroEngine[54870] Assertion failure at "module.cpp-1063", on threadID 0x5A01000

8/27/10 11:07:53 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.roxio.RetroEngine[54870]) Exited with exit code: 255

Come on, there has to be a solution to this. This is expensive software.

Are you running Time Machine as well on your Mini? Don't know if it was just a coincidence or not but the RetroEngine just crashed when a Time Machine backup started on my setup.

I've got a ticket in with Roxio on this issue but I haven't heard back from them yet.

• 1 month later...
Xserve 10.6.4 8.2.0 Retrospect

The Engine stops - I re-start 10 seconds later The engine stops again. No raid card.

Removed the com.emc.retrospect.plist restarted no change.

Any advise?

That's not the situation the rest of us on this thread are seeing. The Engine will run for hours and crashes sometime at the end of a Time Machine backup of the server itself.

Try to look at the logs in the 10 seconds the engine is running.

It sounds like some script is running that's having a problem.

If you can't get the console up to see this, you might try moving your catalog files from their current location -- that will cause the scripts to stop rather than trying to run and crashing (hopefully...)