define location for rebuilt catalogs

as some of you know i'm in the midst of trying to rebuild our huge r6 ait2 tape library to create r8 versions of the catalog files.

it seems that every time i try to rebuild a new tape i have to navigate through the drive to tell r8 where to store the catalogs. why can't r8 remember where i put the last one?

is there a way to do this?

I have not found a way to do this. I have found this problem as well when I had to locate catalog files for my media sets. I wish it would remember the directory however I moved my catalog files to the root of drive to make them easier to find.

At this point the only thing I can suggest is moving your catalog files to a less complex directory.

r6 handled this without issue

That's because the Retrospect Classic application ran entirely within the OS X window server application, allowing for all the nifty and user friendly API's that Apple provides.

Retrospect 8 (the Console application) communicates with the Retrospect Engine without the help of Apple's Finder-style interfaces.

Perhaps the file directory browser they wrote should open each time with the disclosure triangles the same as the last time it was open, although that would be a design decision (I'm not convinced it would be a good one, but it's certainly worth considering).

Of course the above suggested use of an Alias folder close to the top would pretty much solve the frustration.