Wake On LAN not working for OS X clients

I am using 8.2 on an XServe running 10.5.8 with all Mac clients, running 10.5 and 10.6.

None of them will wake on LAN for their backups. I can find the sources and add them during the day, but when employees go home for the evening and leave their machines, the Retrospect server does not wake them up for backups.

I have enabled Wake on LAN via Sources as well as allowing it at each desktop/laptop from System Prefs.

The network is wired, not wireless, so that is not an issue. I can't imagine the performance over a wireless network for tape backup anyway.

By the way, the XServe is Intel, early 2009 purchase and the tape is a Tandberg changer.

Any thoughts on what might make these Macs wake up to do their backup jobs?

Thanks,

Terry

Edited by Guest

In response to Maser, I don't believe that's the issue I am having. It is related to WOL.

To Dave, are there any utilities you can suggest I might try? I am all for scheduling that wake up with another app if I can do it.

Also, when a source is added, Retrospect seems to identify it by IP address. Shouldn't it be identifying it by MAC address or is that happening in the background?

Thanks,

Terry

are there any utilities you can suggest I might try?

http://search.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=wake+on+lan&os=mac

I am all for scheduling that wake up with another app if I can do it.

The idea isn't to increase complexity and decrease fault tolerance by using an additional utility, the idea is to simply test with another method to see if you can successfully wake one of your problem clients without using Retrospect.

If not, it's not a Retrospect issue.

• 1 year later...

I can't confirm this myself but I have read in other threads that Retrospect doesn't support Wake on Lan despite it having a check-box indicating it is supported. One other user claimed this is a programming mistake and that this check box doesn't do anything and hasn't for many releases. Apparently many have asked for a true WOL feature to be implemented.