cannot add back deleted source

And "I haven't tried this with a clean config file on a different Mac yet".

also true, though i have tried it on a clean config on the same mac.

OK. just tried this on a mac mini. OSX 10.6.4. retrospect 8.2.

01) used the old USB stick, with the dmg on it. used the rule excluding backup of the file.

02) ran a backup script with the sources as the USB stick and the mounted dmg (which is read write).

ran fine.

03) ran a proactive script with the same 2 sources. carryon4A failed with -1102 (unavailable). it is now marked with a tilde.

can someone try to reproduce this?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you first try to run two consecutive backup scripts?

Just to rule out (or confirm) something specifically "proactive" related vs. something happening "when you run any 2nd script"?

And, when you tried the mini -- where were you backing up to? Same FW drive but a new media set? Or just a quick test media set on the mini itself?

Oh, and if I was going to try to reproduce this -- what's the name of the dmg and the mounted volume?

And then explain the exact steps you take when you put the USB drive in an mount the disk image in relation to when you run your scripts/restart the engine.

Edited by Guest

Because I had a couple of minutes, I tried the following and could reproduce this. Tell me where your steps differ:

Here's what I did…

reformatted my usb stick to "carryon4a" (APM format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

Used Disk Utility to make a new blank 40M disk image called "test.dmg"

Renamed the mounted volume from "Disk Image" to "bob"

Copied some files to the 40M disk image "bob" …

Copied some other files to the USB drive itself.

Did all this *before* installing Retrospect 8.2. Ejected the disk and installed Retrospect 8.2

made a disk media set to save to my test laptop hard disk.

Set up a rule that only excludes file name "test.dmg"

inserted the USB drive. Mounted the "bob" volume.

Opened the console. Sources show (after a while) the internal hard disk drive, "carryon4A" and "bob".) NOTE -- "after a while" -- "bob" was not immediately visible. I quit the console and relaunched it and then all volumes were visible. But -- at this point -- both volumes were visible in sources.

Ran a "Backup" Wizard backing up "bob" and "carryon4A" using that rule.

NOTE: both "carryon4A" and "bob" indicate the "Ignore ownership" setting is enabled -- you never mentioned that (or if you did, I didn't scroll back to see this.)

Ran *another* backup wizard backup of everything again -- this worked (no additional files backed up -- as expected.)

Added a proactive script. Chose "bob" and "carryon4A" as sources. Chose the media set, chose the rule. No other changes to the script.

Proactive script (as expected) fired off immediately -- first backing up "carryon4a" (and indicating media set in use for "bob" - expected) -- then "bob" ran its backup after that.

*THEN* I looked at "Sources".

At this point -- "carryon4A" has a tilde on it. And continues to do so if I stop/restart the engine at this point.

So, that would seem to reproduce what you are seeing.

Weird.

Interesting add-on to this.

I ejected the USB drive -- and this caused the engine to crash with an assert log.

Maybe you determined something that really wasn't designed to be allowed with USB drives particularly?

In theory, you should (maybe) be able to reproduce this with a mounted .dmg file off the internal hard disk or external FW drive (I'd think?) In that case, the internal/external drive would go off-line as well.

Maybe I can try that on Monday...

Because I had a couple of minutes, I tried the following and could reproduce this.

Hallalujah.

Tell me where your steps differ:

i think your set up mirrors mine.

Proactive script (as expected) fired off immediately -- first backing up "carryon4a" (and indicating media set in use for "bob" - expected) -- then "bob" ran its backup after that.

my log for carryon4A sometimes shows a -1102 error and sometimes not. did you see that error?

*THEN* I looked at "Sources".

At this point -- "carryon4A" has a tilde on it. And continues to do so if I stop/restart the engine at this point.

that's different. usually stop and start clears it for me.

Because I had a couple of minutes, I tried the following and could reproduce this.

oh, and just to square the circle (see the problem this started with)--

if you do this again and get carryon4a with the tilde, try to remove it from the sources list.

if you can, then see if you can never see it again in retrospect.

Interesting add-on to this.

I created a backup script just to do the USB stick carryon4A and the mounted dmg.

the backup script runs fine and runs before the proactive script. the sources are still mounted.

Just the running of the proactive script, which has neither carryon4A nor the mounted dmg checkmarked as a source, causes carryon4a to get marked with a tilde.

i saw this series of events happen in the console.