DR CD Freezes on boot - no error codes

Fireaxe

Problem: When booting from DR CD the setup process proceeds normally until the "standard IDE drivers" begin to load, then the system hangs cold dead. No error codes, no strange sounds, no smoke curling up from the fan vents, nada.

If I boot from the XP distribution CD, life is good.

Hardware: Windows XP Pro SP1. Intel D850GB main board, 512 Meg RDRAM, twin Western Digital 120 Gig HDs (WDC WD1200BB/JB), Radeon 8500DV graphics, PlexWriter 40/12/40A cd burner, nothing fancy.

More detail: Backup completes normally. Create DR iso image completes normally. Source for DR files is original XP distribution CD. ISO image is burned to CD-R using CDMate 2.2.8.

Previous version of Retrospect 5.x DR CD booted without a problem. I don't know if Retrospect 6.x or XP SP1 is the major difference as both were installed before attempting the failed DR boot. Unfortunately I no longer have a 5.x DR boot CD to test with (bummer).

I'm an MCSE (also SMPTE, SBE, and a few other things) certifed - so if I've done something bone-headed I'll be really embarassed!!!

--------------------------

-Rob

The CD stopped reading when the system hung and eventually spun down. I made three separate backups with three DR CDs created.

Just for grins I made an iso image of the XP Pro distribution CD and then burned a copy using the same program. It booted successfully. That ruled out the burner, burner software, CDR media, and boot process on that optical drive.

If I had to guess (and don't you just HATE when people do that?) I'd say it has something to do with XP Pro SP1. Microsoft is not immune to the old coders maxim that the solution to a problem merely creates a new problem.

If I understand correctly, Retrospect looks at the drivers loaded by Windows and adds the ones it deems relavant to the DR boot CD. If Microsoft made a subtle change in SP1 (one that I have yet to figure out) then perhaps it is causing the boot failure.

Isn't software fun?

--------------------------------

-Rob

Archived