Windows Server 2008 R2 NTDS error -1017

dihnat

Ok, this is a serious one. New Windows Server 2008 R2 installation, new installation of Retrospect Disk to Disk 7.7. Everything looks good, but when the backup is run we get a failure on 'ntds' error -1017 (insufficient permission). "vssadmin show writers" shows NTDS as OK before the execution; after the failed execution, it shows State [11] with an no-retryable error. I've already contacted Microsoft and applied two Hotfixes they thought would apply.

This is a bad one--failure to backup the system state is really bad news (I've had to rebuild a system due to this failure in 7.6 on Server 2008, and don't ever want to have to do that again...)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay--I don't get notifications from the forum. Retrospect Single Server Disk-to-Disk Version 7.7.325 (64-bit)w/Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.7.3.102 (64-bit).

Error from Retrospect is "Component ntds backup failed error -1017 (insufficient permissions)." We also get numerous identical errors for items in System Volume Information.

Pertinent information in the event log simply indicates that there is no further information for the Retrospect error.