ait drive must be on at startup to be seen?

in r6 (on the macs in my signature) i can power up our ait 2 turbo drives when i need to do a backup or restore. i have to do this before launching r6 (obviously).

in r8 it seems that i can't do this any more. on our 3.06 imac running 10.6.4 i have to power up the drive then reboot then open r8 to in order to see the drive.

could someone else confirm this behaviour for me?

What happens if you stop/start the retrospect engine after turning the drive on?

A difference between Retrospect 6 and 8 is that, with Retrospect 6, nothing is running prior to launch of the program. With Retrospect 8, the Retrospect engine, which does all of the work and which talks to the drive, is running all the time.

Russ

I can confirm this behavior. I have run into the same problem with an AIT-3 tape library system. I always start the unit before starting the computer since I have the engine set to start at startup.

If you stop the engine and then turn on the unit and then start the engine Retrospect should be able to see the device.

In short if you want to use an AIT drive it must be turned on before starting the engine otherwise it will not be detected by Retrospect.