Two Retrospect 6 And Snow Leopard Questions

1) Did running a Retrospect 6 duplicate cause my source Snow Leopard disk system files to be uncompressed? I did a duplicate of my Snow Leopard system disk to an external Firewire drive. It got thousands of errors on the compare and I got several Mac OS X messages saying that a system font had been restored.

Did Retrospect 6 do anything to my source Snow Leopard disk? Were the font messages referring to the target Firewire disk system files? Know any way to tell? Any way to recover?

2) Can I run a Retrospect 6 client on Snow Leopard connected to a Retrospect 6 server running on Leopard (10.5)?

Thanks.

Right, Retrospect 6 is not supported on Snow Leopard which explains why the duplicate of my Snow Leopard disk failed.

But did running that duplicate harm the source Snow Leopard system disk? Clearly the target disk was unusable.

And can I safely run the Retrospect 6 client on Snow Leopard even though the backups of system files will apparently be kept uncompressed? I am only interested in incremental backups of my user data on the Snow Leopard system. The Retrospect 6 server in this case is running on a Leopard (10.5) system.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
does any one tries to back up a pc windows from a retrospect 6.1 mac server. is this gonna perform the back up as the windows will server as a additional client, or do i need to purchase retrospect windows to get it work. please advise experts thanks.

Please do not threadjack, as your question is unrelated to the original poster's question(s).

Retrospect 6.x will backup Windows files, but not the registry etc.

Retrospect 8.2 (Mac) or Retrospect 7.7 (Windows) is what you need.

• 2 months later...

> But did running that duplicate harm the source Snow Leopard system disk?

Yes, it does. The statement that Retrospect 6 does not modify the source disk is inaccurate. Backing up (and I suppose duplicating) under Snow Leopard with Retrospect 6 results in two nasty problems:

1. It causes all HFS compressed files to be uncompressed as it reads them.

2. It sets the "last modified" date of all HFS compressed files to the time that file was touched by Retrospect.

• 2 weeks later...